Administrative Support Assistant (Legal Services)
We're seeking two support assistants to provide administrative support to our Compliance section within the Legal Services division. You will assist our lawyers in providing quality and timely legal advice and adjudication to support our occupational health and safety mandate.
In this role, your experience providing administrative support in a legal department will be an advantage, however, if you're a self-starter with good administrative and customer service skills, and a team player with an eye for detail, you'll be a good fit for this position.
We have two temporary vacancies for approximately 9 months in duration — An opportunity to try a new role, get your foot in the door, move on after your assignment, or explore avenues to stay.
The starting wage for this position is $25.08.
What you'll do
As a support assistant, you will provide administrative support for the lawyers in the Compliance section of Legal Services who are responsible for adjudicating discriminatory action complaints, providing legal advice to Prevention and Investigation officers on for cause, penalty and prosecution investigations, and providing timely, consistent and coordinated Prevention and Investigation related disclosures. To support this work, you will:
- Assist officers with discriminatory or penalty matters by gathering materials and information, reviewing files for completion, identifying discrepancies, and communicating with appropriate parties to complete files
- Prepare and organize various correspondence, reports, written submissions, presentations, and documents of a legal nature that often include technical industry terminology
- Access and maintain databases and procedure manuals
- Undertake word processing and document editing
Is this a good fit for you?
We're looking for people who can:
- Plan, coordinate, prioritize, and organize a diverse, high-volume workload to effectively multi-task and meet deadlines and changing demands while maintaining accuracy and timeliness
- Use initiative to assist, orient, monitor, and act as a resource to individuals in a team environment
- Reference and apply policies, procedures, and guidelines in making decisions and solving problems
- Understand and respond to stakeholders' needs in order to provide exemplary customer service
- Clearly communicate and document detailed information, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences
Your experience and educational background:
- Grade 12 (some post-secondary education is preferred)
- A minimum of two years of administrative support experience in an office environment — administrative support in a legal environment is an asset
- Proficient use of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Minimum typing speed: 45 wpm
Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we're dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across B.C. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries or diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers' compensation system today and for future generations. We're honoured to serve the almost 2.3 million workers and 231,000 registered employers in our province.
What's it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It's challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a competitive starting salary, your total compensation package will include vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work — and life. Learn more about what we offer.
WorkSafeBC is an inclusive and accessible employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. Only those under consideration will be contacted. If you're unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.