Legal - Manager, Litigation (Lawyer)
- Richmond, BC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Administrative Law, Litigation
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Are you an experienced litigation lawyer with strong leadership and staff supervision skills? We have an opportunity within our Legal Services department for a litigation lawyer to conduct administrative law cases and oversee litigation lawyers and support teams. You'll conduct complex litigation and provide direction to legal officers and outside counsel to ensure the delivery of quality, client-focused legal representation.
Consider joining a team who defends corporate actions and decisions in judicial review applications, human rights matters, complaints before professional bodies, and Coroners' inquests.
What you'll do
As the manager of Litigation you will:
- Conduct judicial review litigation
- Represent WorkSafeBC in Court, at arbitrations, mediations, and hearings
- Manage the operations of the Litigation department ensuring the provision of advisory legal services are high quality, timely, and cost effective
- Promote teamwork and collaboration in achieving business priorities
- Manage staff to maintain high levels of service — hire, orient, and evaluate staff as required, and assign work, provide feedback, coaching, and developmental planning for staff
Is this a good fit for you?
We're looking for someone who can:
- Conduct litigation at all levels of court
- Bring a client-focused, service-oriented approach to providing services to internal customers
- Provide effective leadership, motivation, and direction to staff by translating strategic plans into clear actionable goals
- Prepare reasoned and persuasive written submissions and correspondence, and clearly and concisely present oral information, advice, and persuasive arguments to a variety of audiences
- Plan, organize, and deliver litigation services
- Use tact, discretion, and diplomacy when dealing with highly sensitive and/or political information and maintain confidentiality
- Occasionally travel on corporate business
Your experience and educational background:
- A law degree (LLB) and member of good standing with the Law Society of BC
- A minimum of five years of recent, related experience as a practicing litigation lawyer in a private practice or in-house setting
- Specialist knowledge of administrative law
Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we're dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across B.C. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries or diseases do occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers' compensation system today and for future generations. We're honoured to serve the almost 2.3 million workers and 231,000 employers in our province.
What's it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It's challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward a defined benefit pension plan. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work — and life. Learn more about our what we offer.
If you're the successful applicant, we'll be making a conditional offer contingent upon your passing a criminal record check under the Criminal Records Review Act. At the time of the offer, you'll need to consent to the criminal record check. Once you get a clearance, your offer of employment will be confirmed.
WorkSafeBC is an inclusive and accessible employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. Only those under consideration will be contacted. If you're unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.