Legal - Senior Manager, Compliance (Lawyer)
- Richmond, BC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Administrative Law, Civil Litigation Law, Labour & Employment Law
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Are you an experienced litigation lawyer with strong leadership skills? We're looking for a senior manager in our Legal Services Division to provide leadership and direction to lawyers who provide advice in workplace injury prevention matters, and conducting litigation under the Workers Compensation Act. The senior manager will ensure the effective delivery of legal services and implementation of policies and programs.
Consider joining a strong, committed team who value hard work but understand the need for a healthy lifestyle while providing legal services to an organization whose mandate is to improve health and safety of workplaces across the province.
What you'll do
As a senior compliance manager in legal services you will:
- Ensure the effective delivery of workplace injury prevention matters by developing and implementing departmental business plans to support and achieve strategic objectives and performance goals
- Provide advice and direction to assigned staff on legal, policy, and operational matters
- Liaise with external stakeholders such as the workers' advisers office, the employers' advisers office and the Workers' Compensation Appeal Tribunal
- Manage departmental employees to maintain a high level of service by setting performance goals, providing feedback, and coaching to support and motivate employees, as well as, hire, orientate, and evaluate employees
- Manage the financial resources within the allocated budget
- Conduct litigation on behalf of WorkSafeBC
Is this a good fit for you?
We're looking for someone who can:
- Lead a team of lawyers
- Independently or as part of a team, plan, schedule and complete a variety of concurrent tasks and projects with competing deadlines in an environment of constant change
- Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with individuals (internal and external) at various management levels in an objective and diplomatic manner
- Gather and analyze information, anticipate and recognize problems and opportunities, create and evaluate alternatives, develop solutions, and make appropriate decisions and recommendations
Your experience and educational background:
- A law degree (LLB) and member of good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia
- At minimum of eight years of recent, related experience in one of the following areas: administrative law, employment law, occupational health & safety, or civil litigation, and recent experience in an active litigation practice
- Related experience in a leadership role or supervisory experience
Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we're dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across B.C. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries or diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We're honoured to serve the 2.3 million workers and 231,000 registered employers in our province.
What's it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It's challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a competitive salary, your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward your retirement pension. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work — and life. Learn more about our what we offer.
If you're the successful applicant, we'll be making a conditional offer contingent upon your passing a criminal record check under the Criminal Records Review Act. At the time of the offer, you'll need to consent to the criminal record check. Once you get a clearance, your offer of employment will be confirmed.
WorkSafeBC is an inclusive and accessible employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. Only those under consideration will be contacted. If you're unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.