- $55,504 - $72,156
- Law Clerk, Legal Assistant, Paralegal
- Area of Practice
- Civil Litigation Law
- Job Type
- Temporary, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- College diploma
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
(3- 2-Year Term Positions)
CONTRIBUTING TO THE CMPA
Physician Consulting Services performs the CMPA’s core business of providing members with medical-legal advice, and assistance in responding to College and hospital matters and legal actions arising from members’ medical professional work. Physician Consulting Services’ core function is to provide members with general medical-legal advice, and assistance in responding to College and hospital matters and legal actions arising from their medical professional work.
As a Legal Case Administrator (LCA) you will track legal files, assist Physician Advisors in managing a legal file in a timely manner from its inception to its conclusion, and anticipate the progression of legal files in accordance with the Rules of Civil Procedure for each jurisdiction in Canada. The LCA must ensure the availability of adequate documentation and other evidentiary information for CMPA legal files. This is accomplished through ongoing communication with General and provincial counsel and with the Physician Advisors managing the file.
The LCA must also provide legal/technical expertise to all levels of the Physician Consulting Services team as well as other departments within the CMPA, as required. The LCA also acts as a resource person to General Counsel (GC), provincial counsel (PC) and Physician Advisors on matters arising from the milestone maps.
Managing legal files
- Review legal documents to confirm whether a legal case type is the appropriate case problem type and determine appropriate court procedure
- Prepare and receive communication to and from General Counsel and provincial counsel regarding milestones, outstanding legal documents, outstanding medical and/or evidentiary documents and Assessments
- Review legal documents to determine outstanding evidentiary matters
- Review legal files to ensure all pertinent and required information is received in a timely manner, to allow for a thorough and accurate evaluation by the Physician Advisor
- Maintain and update legal information in PeopleSoft according to changes occurring throughout the life of a legal action
- Keep abreast of changes in the legislation and/or Rules of Court
Advice to members
- Provide one-on-one general advice and support to CMPA members on assigned topics such as Subpoenas, medical records, etc
- Review the case file, and assess the appropriateness of actions taken by member
- Liaise with General Counsel and Provincial Counsel to arrange legal assistance when necessary
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Diploma or certificate Program (2-3 years) as Law Clerk, Legal Assistant, or Paralegal
- 4-6 years of experience working in a civil litigation environment and working independently as a litigation Law Clerk, Legal Assistant or Paralegal
- 2 years of the above experience must include working in a windows-based computer environment with word processing, Internet and databases
- Additional courses in Civil Litigation
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bilingualism is an asset
- Comprehensive knowledge of Rules of Procedures in a minimum of one jurisdiction in Canada; sufficient legal knowledge to understand and apply procedures and practices of other jurisdictions within Canada to the appropriate legal case
- Strong organizational & interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to liase with all levels of staff and General and Provincial Counsel
- Ability to set priorities in a multi-tasked environment
- Ability to provide advice and support to members with empathy and diplomacy
- This position is classified at a Level 7 - Range $55,504 - $72,156.
- Selected candidates may be required to complete a skills assessment.