Senior Corporate/Commercial Lawyer
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, Lawyer - Private Practice
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
BDO Law LLP is the affiliated law firm of BDO Canada LLP. BDO Law provides clients with legal services to address their corporate/commercial legal needs in collaboration with BDO Canada’s accounting, tax and advisory services. With over 35 years of combined experience, our lawyers are problem-solvers and innovators. We look at new ways to deliver legal services and address our clients’ needs. We are not afraid to assume new responsibilities, tackle new challenges and build relationships as we navigate the ever-evolving legal landscape.
BDO Law LLP is currently seeking a Senior Corporate/Commercial Lawyer to join its very busy and growing practice.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Extensive experience in business purchase and sale transactions, implementing share re-organizations and estate freezes and drafting and negotiating shareholders’ agreements and commercial contracts.
- Able to be self-sufficient and competent to supervise more junior lawyers and law clerks on corporation/commercial transactions.
- Evaluate assignments in terms of fee estimates, delegate as appropriate and manage matters to completion.
- Continually focused on developing relationships across BDO Canada’s practice to drive referrals.
- Support the firm’s growth through talent acquisition and development, knowledge management and coaching of junior counsel and law clerks.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario, or entitled to transfer from another jurisdiction. Multiple Canadian bar admissions would be considered an asset.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant corporate/commercial experience at a recognized national or local law firm.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, a collaborative nature, and the ability to work in a cross-team environment.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with attention to detail.
- Effective time management and organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- High values in teamwork, client/customer service and professionalism.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of staff and management.
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO is the 5th largest accounting and advisory firm in the world
- At BDO, we consider our people to be our most valuable asset; we offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you professionally and personally succeed
- We provide competitive salaries, a flexible benefits package and a matching RRSP option
- Opportunity to work with like-minded individuals to support career development