There are many world-class accounting firms. Far fewer that offer a culture so rich in professional opportunity, personal fulfillment, and long-term growth. At BDO, we understand that exceptional service to our clients begins – and ends – with exceptional regard for our people. Because at its core, our business is not about numbers or spreadsheets, dollars or cents, but about people working with, for, and in service of others. In short, because relationships matter.
A part of BDO, BDO Law LLP is the affiliated law firm of BDO Canada LLP. We provide clients with legal services to address their corporate and administrative legal needs in collaboration with BDO Canada’s accounting, tax and advisory services. With over 35 years of combined experience, our lawyers are problem-solvers and innovators. We look at new ways to deliver legal services and address our clients’ needs. We are not afraid to assume new responsibilities, tackle new challenges and build relationships as we navigate the ever-evolving legal landscape.
BDO Law LLP is currently seeking a self-starting, ambitious Legal Assistant to join our growing firm at the National office in Toronto. The successful candidate will provide general administrative support to the Corporate Law's team of clerks and lawyers in a fast paced, dynamic and team oriented environment.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Administrative support, including opening and closing files, docketing, billing, conducting conflict checks, scheduling meetings and maintaining lawyers’ and clerks’ calendars
- Assist lawyers and clerks with document preparation, formatting, execution and filings
- Compose general correspondence, memos to file and other material with limited guidance
- Maintain filing system (open new files/close files/ensure that daily filing is kept up to date)
- Respond efficiently to inquiries and requests, prioritizing work based on level of urgency, and communicating timing expectations to individual assigning work
- Answer telephones, screens and re-routes calls
- Liaise with clients, auditors and other third parties to gather information, for examination and review of corporate records and prepare packages to be sent by courier
- Accounts: printing of pre-bills and reports; entering of time dockets; making changes/corrections of time entries; liaise with accounting department to ensure that bills are prepared according to instructions and prepare expense reports
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Minimum 2-5 years’ previous experience in a legal environment
- Proficiency with MS Office applications, particularly Microsoft Word is an absolute requirement
- Proficiency working with Adobe is a requirement
- Exceptional organizational/document management skills with a strong attention to detail is essential
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic with a demonstrated ability prioritize multiple assignments
- Critical thinking skills and a high level of initiative, able to proactively solve problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible, team player who is client service oriented with ability to deliver superior standard of service
- Comfortable with a paperless environment for organizing and managing legal files and corporate records
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO is the 5th largest accounting and advisory firm in the world
- At BDO, we consider our people to be our most valuable asset; we offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you professionally and personally succeed
- We provide competitive salaries, a flexible benefits package and a matching RRSP option
- Opportunity to work with like-minded individuals to support career development
- BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives, FCC’s “Drive Away Hunger”, Children’s Miracle Network and United Way