Assistant General Counsel, Get Work Group
- Oakville, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Construction Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
We are seeking a highly talented individual for the position of Assistant General Counsel in our Legal department. This position will report to the “Get Work” Group General Counsel, and support our Eastern Canada Districts in their “Get Work” pursuits. The complexity of the work we have in this group is unique, working with some of the largest projects being built in North America today. Do you want to partner with business executives in pursuing work? Would you like to be an integral part of the team tasked with winning work for the company? If you want to step into a role with a huge impact, this is your chance!
• Perform initial risk assessment and review of RFPs and prime contracts, and related documents received from clients and partners;
• Create initial draft of joint venture agreements, consortiums, MOU’s, term sheets, Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) agreements, and other service agreements and associated transactional documents;
• Ensure that written agreements are drafted/redlined in a fashion which mitigate risk posed to the Company, including “checks and balances” of additional internal review and involvement of other Kiewit attorneys and business executives;
• Ensure the Company’s contracting protocols, commercial standards and guidelines are followed;
• Coordinate with the internal stakeholders and subject matter experts relative to the commercial/legal aspects and risks of projects assigned;
• Responsible for coordination and lead/support of negotiation of prime contracts, joint ventures, MOUs, term sheets and related agreements;
• Coordinate negotiations on major subcontracts with the business lead and internal supply network lead
• Develop appropriate reporting tools to aid in risk analysis of various projects based upon the client’s requested terms and the Company’s proposed responses;
• Adhere to Kiewit’s Contract Review Processes:
• Complete a prime contract checklist to ensure compliance of “as bid” position with approved corporate risk profiles;
• Complete a red-line of the contracts or term sheets, followed by secondary reviews performed by other Kiewit attorneys;
• Identify and review key commercial terms including schedule/performance guarantees and make-goods, LDs, limit of liability, and subcaps, etc.
• Coordinate with the internal supply network lead to ensure the prime contract terms flow down to the respective subcontracts, material supply contracts, etc. as applicable.
• Provide and/or coordinate training for Kiewit employees of select commercial and legal topics.
• J.D. or LL. B Degree from an accredited law school
• Admission to bar in Ontario (Admission to any other common law bar societies is considered an asset)
• Perfectly bi-lingual French and English
• 5 years of demonstrated legal experience with a major contractor, engineer, law firm challenge or internal legal department in the area of construction law with experience negotiating and reviewing civil and common law contracts
• Ability to travel as may be required to serve various internal profit centers within the Company
• Excellent communication skills; with the ability to clearly and concisely express legal issues and analysis as it pertains to the business to executive management and colleagues
• Self-driven & resourceful to achieve goals independently as well as in groups
• Flexibility to adjust and thrive in an environment with changing requirements, schedules and priorities
• Excellent writing, presentation, and meeting facilitation skills
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
• Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
• RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.