- Montreal, QC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Contract, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Based in Montreal, the Senior Legal Counsel will be responsible for the provision of general commercial legal advice, supporting the needs of IATA, which primarily involves providing support to IATA’s Financial and Distribution Services’ Division, with a particular emphasis in financial services; card and payment-services law; and global legal developments in these areas.
The main roles of the Senior Legal Counsel will be to:
- Provide general legal support on commercial matters and projects relating to IATA financial activities, operations, services and products;
- Draft, review and negotiate routine, ad hoc and special agreements with customers, suppliers and partners;
- Create, review and update contract templates, and
- Assist in the provision of legal advice on regulatory developments and compliance matters affecting the portfolios and ensuring compliance of the services and activities with applicable laws.
The Senior Legal Counsel will have a direct internal liaisons with key business managers on all matters and portfolios assigned, and will work with other members of the IATA Legal Department globally to support general commercial and business law activities.
The Senior Legal Counsel will work primarily with the Assistant General Counsel/Financial Services. The position reports directly to the Deputy General Counsel and is supervised on tasks by the Assistant General Counsel/Financial Services, the Deputy General Counsel and the General Counsel. The Senior Legal Counsel is an active member of the IATA Legal Department contributing to the Legal team's goals and vision.
- Coordinate, draft and negotiate contracts and related legal documents pertaining to various financial services and operations of IATA
- Assist in managing the contract clearance process to ensure proper contract approval in accordance with IATA policies;
- Dealing directly with clients, vendors and other third parties, and manage outside counsel from time to time;
- Develop client relationships with internal business partners
- Respond promptly to requests for legal advice from business partners;
- Prepare correspondence and respond to inquiries on behalf of the business units to external clients when required;
- Participate in relevant projects or contracts risks assessment exercises and provide advice on legal ramifications of transactions;
- Participate in or lead specific projects as requested, such as compliance support matters and legal advice in support of new services;
- Perform miscellaneous legal research and drafting of memos and legal opinions in English;
- Participate in, or lead training sessions on legal issues for IATA staff members;
- Act in accordance with IATA's Values and Behaviours;
- Participate in continuing professional development opportunities;
- Participate in formal legal team meetings and contribute to the development of the Legal team’s discussions and development;
- Perform any other tasks relating to the provision of legal services as assigned by Assistant-General Counsel, the Deputy General Counsel or the General Counsel;
Qualifications and Skills
- University degree in law from an internationally recognized university;
- Licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in any state/jurisdiction for a minimum of 5 years;
- Between 5 and 10 years of relevant work experience in a lawfirm or as in-house counsel in commercial and financial law;
- Additional experience as in-house counsel in a corporation or government department in commercial law is a plus;
- Ability to draft high quality contracts and related legal documentation;
- Attention to details;
- Ability to find creative solutions to contractual issues to reach resolution, taking a pragmatic, commercial approach to balancing legal risks against business interests;
- Ability to handle multiple projects at one time;
- Strong interpersonal, management, and communication skills;
- Superior time management, planning and organizational skills;
- Strong analytical, research and writing skills;
- Strong collaborative skills, be able to work independently and in a team, and be a true "self starter” in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; proficiency in French, Spanish and any other languages would be an asset;
- Proficient in MS Office products.
At the heart of IATA are our Values and Behaviors. We all have different personalities, styles and areas of expertise, but you’ll recognize us by the consistent way we act and behave in line with our Values and Behaviors. We are looking for people who bring them to life in everything they do – they are:
- Act with integrity and uphold our standards
- Think strategically in support of the global big picture
- Partner and manage to create high performing teams
- Putting people first by acting with a simple human touch
Here at IATA we are proud of being a Diverse & Inclusive Organization – we have people from all over the world working in our offices, and we extend this to our recruiting practices. We are a meritocratic organization and an equal opportunity employer.