Looking for more?
At VHA Home HealthCare, more is not just our commitment to clients, but to our incredible team of staff.
General Counsel at VHA Home HealthCare
What we’re looking for…
*Are you a lawyer who doesn’t like to litigate?
*Are you a lawyer who is passionate about working for a good cause and an earnest organization more than you enjoy the intricacies of statutory and case law?
*Are you a lawyer who likes to be part of a supportive team?
We are seeking a Lawyer to work as in-house General Counsel at
VHA Home HealthCare.
Creating opportunities for more independence; it’s what people in the community rely on us for and what VHA Home HealthCare (VHA) has offered for over 90 years. With over 2,700 health care professionals serving clients in seven Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs) in the GTA, London, Ottawa and Durham, VHA’s client & family centered care based approach provides nursing, rehabilitation, personal support and home support services.
Reporting to the President and CEO and serving as a member of VHA’s Senior Management Group, the General Counsel has a diverse portfolio, including serving as Privacy Officer and Director of Risk Management. This individual is a key player in supporting the successful delivery of the VHA mandate.
- Risk Management – drives the annual Enterprise Risk Management process, including leading the annual risk registry review and developing and monitoring the annual Risk Plan; leads the Emergency Management Planning Committee. Provides advice about situations involving risk to VHA and apprises Senior Management and the Board of Directors of serious risk issues and litigation.
- Privacy –monitors legislation and IPC Orders to ensure VHA’s processes are compliant; liaises with the Privacy Officers of our contracted partners re joint privacy issues; tracks, monitors, contains, manages and reports privacy breaches; works closely with the CIO regarding electronic data and processes, with a recent focus on cyber security; and responds to third party notices of FOI requests directed to the LHINs.
- Advocacy – serves as key representative for VHA with external stakeholders to advocate for industry improvements and change with the goal of providing excellence in client services
- Continuous Improvement – works closely with our Quality and Client Services teams on improving service delivery strategies and practices
- Litigation Liaison – monitors and manages litigation; negotiates settlements as required; liaises with insurance company agents and lawyers handling our claims to prepare and provide data, documents and witnesses as required.
- Privacy – The General Counsel is also the Privacy Officer. As Privacy Officer, Counsel monitors legislation and IPC Orders to ensure VHA’s processes are compliant; liaises with the Privacy Officers of our contracted partners re joint privacy issues; tracks, monitors, contains, manages and reports privacy breaches; works closely with the CIO regarding electronic data and processes, with a recent focus on cyber security; and responds to third party notices of FOI requests directed to the LHINs.
- Ethics – chairs the Ethics Committee, works with others to arrange ethics education, and assists with ethical issues encountered by VHA staff, supervisors and managers
- Policies – directly responsible for drafting, monitoring and revising certain VHA general policies and is involved in the development and updating of all other general policies.
- Contracts and Corporate Correspondence – assists in drafting and editing responses to requests for proposal for new and renewal business, and any other sensitive or large writing projects.
- Strategy and Accreditation - responsible, jointly with other senior leaders and the Board of Directors, for development, realization and implementation of VHA’s Strategic Plan and is actively involved in VHA’s cyclical Accreditation Canada survey.
- Experienced and proven strategic leader who possesses the ability to operate at both a strategic and operational level with strong project management skills
- Bachelor’s degree in law and member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Expert knowledge of relevant legislation and legal frameworks
- Industry experience gained from working with health care companies or hospitals is a definite asset
- Excellent communication, research, project management and drafting skills required
- Demonstrated ability to build strong client relationships is essential
- Professional behavior and communication that meets the standards of the professional regulatory college and the standards of VHA Home HealthCare
Please apply online at www.VHA.ca by February 22, 2019
VHA Home HealthCare is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. If you require any accommodation in the application process, please let us know in advance.
Thank you to everyone who applies. We will review applications as they are received. We’ll only be contacting those selected for further discussion.