General Staff Counsel
- Markham office
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, General Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Information Technology Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
IBM is a global cognitive solutions and innovation company that stands for progress. With operations in over 170 countries, IBMers around the world invent and integrate hardware, software and services into cognitive solutions to help forward-thinking enterprises, institutions and people everywhere succeed in building a smarter planet.
IBM's operations are supported by an integrated global legal department with in country professionals in most of the countries in which we operate.
In Canada, the legal team is centered in Markham, Ontario, at the IBM Canada headquarters but has professionals located in various parts of the country. The team provides legal support in a number of core areas including information technology, general commercial, employment, intellectual property and privacy.
We are looking to add to our diverse high energy team an experienced Staff Counsel.
Reporting to the General Counsel, IBM Canada, the successful candidate would be responsible for assisting, with minimal direction, other attorneys and contract negotiators supporting the IBM business in Canada and acting as a consultant to internal business clients on various legal matters. This could include reviewing, interpreting and providing advice on federal, provincial and local laws, agency rulings, IBM policies and practices, business conduct and ethics. A focus of this role will be the drafting, reviewing and negotiating of customer contracts supporting transactions in all areas of IBM's products and services
*position is located at our 3600 Steeles Ave E, Markham office*
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- English Fluent (verbal and written)
- Qualified to practice law in Ontario or another common law province
- At least 3-5 years experience in Information Technology Law
- Ability to provide independent advice to senior level management on complex matters.
- Fluent in Microsoft Word (i.e. able to execute contract document drafting and revisions)
- Solid organization skills
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Experience working within IT firms or procuring IT services from vendors
- Experience in privacy, data security and related legal matters
- Solid capability in Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint
- Formal project management training or experience
- Bilingual English and French (verbal and written)
- Qualified to practice civil law in the province of Quebec
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.