The Regional Counsel, Canada --to be based in Waterdown, ON -- will be responsible for a broad range of matters in the provision of legal support for the commercial activities of the Stryker Canada Business. The Regional Counsel will serve as the point person for all legal issues related to Stryker Canada by providing legal advice in a highly regulated environment. As part of the global Legal and Compliance Department, the Regional Counsel shall engage, collaborate and communicate with colleagues and the Canada business to ensure that Stryker’s rights are protected and that the business is compliant with local, international and corporate requirements.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Drafts, reviews, negotiates and advises on various types of Canada-based contracts, including but not limited to sales, services, Procurement other Commercial arrangements.
- Provides effective legal services for the Stryker Canada sales division, including advisory support for marketing, sales, and indirect channels.
- Conducts legal analysis and provides counsel on laws, rules, regulations and Stryker policies related to Stryker’s interactions with Healthcare Providers.
- Provides analysis and counsel on various other relevant legal issues as they arise, including but not limited to medical device regulation, intellectual property, employment, data privacy, competition law, anticorruption/anti-bribery laws, liability avoidance and sales and marketing related issues.
- Manages or assists in managing litigation and legal claims involving Stryker’s Canada business through interactions with Stryker’s in-house legal team and outside counsel.
- Developing strong working relationships with the Stryker business and well as others within the Legal and Compliance Department.
- Partners closely with Compliance on compliance initiatives, policies and programs. Assists the compliance team in managing a robust compliance program.
- Trains and educates stakeholders to ensure the proper functioning and transparency of the law and contractual processes.
- Maintains working knowledge of current and emerging laws and regulations. These include, Stryker Corporate Policies and Procedures, industry trends and guidance on country, provincial or local laws.
- Responds to alleged violation of rules, regulations, policies, procedures and standards of conduct by recommending the initiation of appropriate procedures in partnership with the business.
- Assists on other matters as needed.
Education & Special Trainings:
- Law Degree required with strong academic record
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum 5+ years’ relevant legal experience required
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects and conflicting demands
- Ability to build relationships with key clients, co-workers and business partners
- Collaborative and consultative team player with an ability to work well independently and in a team environment , including with senior management.
- Ability to work comfortably in a fast-paced environment and to manage and meet deadlines within that environment
- Pragmatic business acumen with the ability to recognize the business consequence of legal advice
- High-energy and drive; embraces a strong work ethic
- Contract drafting and negotiation experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Completes complex tasks under minimal supervision or guidance.
- Perceived as highly competent with developing business acumen and good judgment. Embraces and proactively supports change in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrates solid management and leadership skills.
Similar searches: Lawyer - In House Counsel