Senior Regulatory Advisor - Indigenous Relations
The Indigenous Relations team of Government & Regulatory Affairs organization provides leadership, advice and innovative solutions to the TELUS group of companies. We partner with teams across the organization and collaborate with governments and indigenous organizations to advance our strategic imperatives and ultimately deliver better outcomes and experiences for TELUS’ indigenous customers.
Our service delivery model is built by talent who are authentic, adaptive and have the ability to connect details into the big picture. We enthusiastically embrace our opportunity to work with and learn from indigenous peoples in Canada and to play a meaningful role in the processes of reconciliation and decolonization. Our team is ready for complex challenges because each of us are intrinsically passionate about our calling as strategic business partners who advance our corporate priorities including our ‘Customer First’ strategy.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
Your work as the Senior Advisor of Indigenous Relations team will ensure a strong collaboration is achieved between the Indigenous governments and TELUS. You will be specifically responsible for building and maintaining relationships with Indigenous governments and organizations in a meaningful and respectful manner. You understand the regulatory and cultural matters relating to Indigenous government and Peoples and leverage your expertise to support TELUS business units in the facilitation of projects and initiatives on Indigenous lands.
- Sought out for your ability to negotiate land, access, and other agreements with Indigenous governments
- Known for the strategic planning to advance the business goals of TELUS in collaboration with Indigenous, federal, and provincial governments
- Respected for engaging with TELUS business units, governments and partners to advance the goals of reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples in Canada
- Noted for undertaking detailed land status and other research in relation to the impact of proposed TELUS projects on Indigenous lands
- Valued for the ability to develop and implement policies in order to assist business units in the delivery of services and the construction, maintenance, and operation of TELUS’ infrastructure in adherence to Indigenous, federal, and provincial legal and regulatory frameworks
- Valued for maintaining good working relationships with internal TELUS teams and Project Management team, working collaboratively to ensure respectful practices, meaningful engagement, and a ‘Customer First’ approach with Indigenous governments
- Post-secondary degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in collaboration with Indigenous Communities and/or a minimum of 5 years of experience in telecommunications and/or a network-related field
- Expert knowledge and respect of Indigenous culture, history, governance, and law, particularly in British Columbia (BC) and Alberta (AB) or willingness to undertake orientation and acquire proficiency in relation to Indigenous issues
- Recognized for strong negotiation and collaboration skills
- Confident with contractual language, ideally in the context of land tenures
- Excellent written and oral skills, including ability to provide concise and informative submissions, recommendations, and proposals
- Applauded for you organization, project management, and research skills
- Respected for your ability to prioritize and manage multiple concurrent projects
- Legal background relating to Indigenous law and relations
- Understanding of telecommunications network infrastructure, deployment, and operations
- Understanding of Indigenous land and governance regimes in Canada and experience conducting land status research