Legal Counsel - Labour & Employment
- Canadian Pacific Railway (CP)
- Calgary, AB
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Labour & Employment Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Legal Counsel you will provide proactive business-oriented legal advice and services to the corporation at all levels, and will provide support to senior lawyers primarily on labour and employment matters.
- Manage labour and employment mandates throughout Canada, including related litigation, arbitration and tribunal hearings. This includes preparing pleadings, day-to-day correspondence with opposing counsel or parties, and attending mediation, arbitration, hearings and other judicial or tribunal appearances;
- Provide instructions, direction and oversight to external counsel in their performance of CP legal work;
- Provide support to the Human Resources and Labour Relations teams and other departments on labour and employment matters while ensuring legal compliance and alignment with CP policies, practices and procedures;
- Provide support to the Legal Services team in other areas of law, including commercial, regulatory, and litigation, as requested;
- Assist in preparing employment agreements, compensation plans, company policies and other human resource documentation and precedents;
- Assist in internal investigations and reporting.
- Graduate of a recognized law school and membership in the Law Society of one or more of the provinces of Canada;
- Minimum 5 - 7 years of legal practice at a private law firm, corporate law department or governmental/quasi-governmental law department, with experience in human resources, labour and employment;
- Proficiency in labour and employment laws and practices (federal and provincial);
- Familiarity with litigation and arbitration processes;
- Knowledge of transportation laws, both federal and provincial, and experience in transportation industry, would be an asset;
- Possess strong analytical skills, sound judgment and an ability to apply legal principles to CP’s business and operations in an effective, proactive and pragmatic manner;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to manage relationships with external counsel;
- Demonstrated organizational skills to prioritize high volume workload in a time-sensitive environment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to work both within a team and independently with minimal supervision.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").