Solium Capital Inc. is fulfilling a vision of becoming the global leader in equity-based (stock) incentive and share purchase savings plan management. We specialize in the delivery of complete web-based services for the full lifecycle of equity-based incentive and savings plans. Through our technically advanced Shareworks™ platform, Solium is setting the Industry's service standard for the administration and execution of all types of equity-based incentives and savings plans.
We currently have a full-time opportunity for a:
Located in the Eau Claire neighbourhood of downtown Calgary and reporting to the Senior Vice-President, Legal, you will be a key member of our legal team at the company’s global headquarters. The ideal candidate is a seasoned corporate attorney with a strong commercial and technology background, who has a proven track record of being successful working in an in-house setting.
This role provides an extremely unique opportunity to be part of a small, but fierce, legal team supporting internal clients all over the world. You will be joining one of the greatest “fintech” companies in Canada and we need your help as we grow the company together. You will work with some of the biggest names in global business as well as some of the most exciting Silicon Valley start-ups. Together, we’re doing things that are frequently breaking new ground and we may not have all the answers yet … and that’s the cool part of the job. We’re tasked with figuring it out and you’ll get to dive right in. If you’re looking for global legal complexity, combined with a little financial services and technology challenge, and a good deal of fun while figuring it all out, this is it!
What sets us apart?
You may be thinking you know the difference between working at a firm and working in-house but our in-house setting is a lot different, for all the right reasons. This is a completely open office environment with no doors, walls or cubicles so that means collaboration – true collaboration though, not just emailing each other. You have to see the office to appreciate it … it’s a bit Silicon Valley. You’ll do lots of video-conferencing, you’ll handle meetings by involving colleagues from multiple departments, and most importantly you’ll be willing to have some fun in the midst of all the seriousness. You might even have to avoid the occasional nerf gun battle. In a nutshell, we’re not your typical in-house setting and we’re really proud of that!
Responsibilities (the work):
One half of this role is to support the entire life-cycle of business agreements related to our flagship product, Shareworks, driving contracts to completion that meet the requirements of Solium and our global customers, partners and vendors. The other half of this role is to work closely with our business teams on a broad range of legal and compliance matters and provide high quality, pragmatic legal advice in support of the company’s business objectives.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide variety of agreements, including US, Canadian, European, Australian and Asian SaaS customer agreements, technology license agreements, NDAs, and vendor and partner agreements.
- Provide support to management and advise business units on issues related to contract interpretation, compliance, privacy, IP licensing and potential disputes.
- Work with colleagues to continuously improve contract processes as well as implementation and adherence to best practices within both the legal department and the company.
- Periodically and proactively assess legal and compliance risk exposures for the business and develop risk mitigation initiatives including procedures, policies, and forms development.
- Support and interact with business leaders on M&A, partnerships and special projects, including coordinating and undertaking due diligence.
- Provide compliance support for our global employee share plan.
- Assist with entity maintenance requirements for our global subsidiaries.
- Address potential disputes or claims and coordinate with outside counsel.
- Assist with our Canadian securities reporting, such as periodic filings, AIF, stockholder meetings, and proxy solicitation.
- Research legal issues related to Shareworks or Solium’s business units.
- Juris Doctor degree and in-house experience
- Minimum 6 years legal experience with 3 years as in-house counsel
- Proven competency with software contracts, technology licensing and privacy regulations
- Demonstrated ability to quickly digest complex information and make good, informed decisions
- Must be self-motivated and high energy, as well as able to collaborate with business teams
- Competency with common technology, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Salesforce and contract management systems
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to negotiate contracts successfully
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, lean and open office environment
- Experience with equity compensation or financial services considered a plus
- Experience with data privacy principles is important
- Experience with the CSA or IIROC would be valuable
- Global experience is also important
We reward our people with a competitive compensation and benefits package and a fun, flexible work environment. Do you have Bagel Mondays and Beer Fridays at your current workplace?
While we thank all applicants for their interest in a career with Solium, please note that only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.