- Traction on Demand (ToD)
- Vancouver, BC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Labour & Employment Law, Privacy Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
As a Corporate Counsel who is part of our legal team, you will advise on all aspects of our businesses (together, “Traction on Demand” or “ToD”), which includes both professional services and application products.
Traction on Demand’s hiring philosophy is based on culture, intelligence and then skills. Here’s what we mean by that:
Culture at Traction on Demand isn’t about drinking beer and playing ping-pong – it’s much more. We are looking for people who want to join an active community of engaged individuals who see business as more than just a vehicle to make money. We care about our people, wider community and planet. Come join us on this journey!
Traction is a group of entrepreneurs committed to creating ecstatic clients, doing enjoyable work and being efficient in everything we do. We fail fast and love to innovate. Change is our middle name.
Our values don’t just sit on a glossy page. We live them every day. Our values are the cornerstone of who we are – do they resonate with you?
- Embrace Knowledge
- Do the right thing
- Seek adventures and smiles
- Healthy hearts and heads
- Pursue opportunity
- Build community
People often ask what it takes to succeed at Traction on Demand – you’ve got to be smart, without having an ego. What does that mean? Imagine working with a group of your smartest friends who all love to learn. Everyone is always pushing each other to grow and innovate at a pace that can only be called furious. We are never idle or stagnant. We seek and share knowledge. We are comfortable with the unknown. We just “git ‘r done.”
Tractionites come from a variety of backgrounds, and we are eager to find people that are from non-traditional backgrounds. Typically, we find that people are successful in this role when they have:
- LLB or J.D. as well as a member in good standing of the Law Society of B.C.;
- Minimum of 5 years of legal experience at a major law firm and/or in-house at a large corporation
- Overall broad legal knowledge, but specifically including privacy and data protection law, corporate/commercial law (sales agreements, license agreements), and employment law (ESA, Human Rights Code)
- Curiosity to learn about ToD’s various businesses;
- Ability to prioritize tasks in a manner that aligns with ToD’s overall objectives
- Ability to creatively problem solve in a way that bends to already established processes within ToD; you suggest solutions not present problems
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Clear and concise communicator with the ability to shift style to accommodate a variety of audiences
- Ability to manage a wide array of legal matters and projects
- A relentless spirit in accomplishing every task, no matter the resistance you encounter. You have is a tough time walking away from a challenge
- Exceptional business judgment and ability to work independently
- Experience in the following areas an asset:
- Procurement/tendering law (responding to RFPs)
- IP protection (patents/copyright), ownership and assignment
- Customer relationship management industry
- Marketing and advertising law
- Experience working with an international parent company with affiliates and subsidiaries is an asset
What You Will Be Doing
- Negotiating, drafting, reviewing, and managing ToD's agreements, including but not limited to sales agreements, non-disclosure agreements, data protection agreements, employment agreements and general procurement related agreements;
- Drafting agreements that minimize risks and maximize ToD’s rights in a manner that is respectful, cooperative with our customers and vendors, and embodies the Traction on Demand values;
- Working with external counsel to obtain their subject matter expertise, where appropriate;
- Reviewing and working with relevant stakeholders to revise corporate policies and processes;
- Providing legal support for all units in the organization including our both our professional services and products divisions;
- Providing legal support to our finance, sales, marketing and human resources departments;
- Identifying risks and developing proactive, practical solutions;
- Contributing to and conducting employee compliance training, particularly to the leadership and sales teams;
- Reviewing and revising marketing materials to ensure compliance with applicable anti-spam and privacy legislation;
- Keeping informed of relevant legislative changes and training stakeholders as appropriate;
- Participating and contributing in meetings with Traction on Demand senior management.
If you’re interested, so are we! Send your resume our way, and we’ll contact you for a phone interview.
At Traction on Demand, we aim to change the world by challenging the traditional consulting model and building community with our clients, partners and neighbours. At our core, we’re about improving the way companies do business by leveraging technology – salesforce.com, technology partners and our own libraries of intellectual property. We are a people-first organization, creating long-term relationships with our clients and growing with them as strategic business partners. Our clients are varied in size, geography and industry, and include some of the world’s largest technology firms. Traction for Good, our community engagement program, and our involvement as one of the first 100 B Corps in Canada are just a couple of the reasons why we have been named to the Best Places to Work in Canada top 10 list for several years running.
We are an equal opportunity employer and love diversity at our company! We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.