- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Multiplex is seeking an outgoing and engaging Legal Counsel to join its dynamic and growing construction business. Reporting directly to the VP of Legal, the Legal Counsel will interact with various business divisions to provide a range of advice for managing and mitigating commercial risks.
- Lead in contract negotiations, drafting and closings.
- Advising Multiplex's bid team regarding the risks associated with new project pursuits.
- Advising project teams regarding development of bid documents and procurement processes.
- Advising project teams regarding day-to-day administration of project agreements.
- Managing and strategizing for various types of claims and litigation.
- Advising the business on legislative changes and new developments in case law.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- 1-3 years of post-call experience.
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Strong understanding of contracts and RFPs.
- Attention to detail with an ability to communicate and draft clearly and succinctly.
- Understanding and navigating legislation in order to provide practical and time sensitive advice.
- Ability to review project documentation in order to develop legal and commercial positions.
- Problem solving complex legal problems under pressure in order to provide business solutions.
- Ability to understand numbers and commercial/financial analysis would be an asset but is not required.
- Business or engineering experience would be an asset but is not required.
The Legal Counsel will be based from Multiplex's fast-paced head office in downtown Toronto. Visits to project sites in the GTA from time to time will be critical for understanding and advising the business.
Multiplex is committed to providing a barrier-free work environment in concert with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Multiplex is an equal opportunity employer and strives to ensure that its hiring process meets the needs of all persons with disabilities. As such, Multiplex will provide reasonable accommodation for any applicant, as requested during the hiring process