Corporate Law Clerk
There are many world-class accounting firms. Far fewer that offer a culture so rich in professional opportunity, personal fulfillment, and long-term growth. At BDO, we understand that exceptional service to our clients begins – and ends – with exceptional regard for our people. Because at its core, our business is not about numbers or spreadsheets, dollars or cents, but about people working with, for, and in service of others. In short, because relationships matter.
A part of BDO, BDO Law LLP is the affiliated law firm of BDO Canada LLP. We provide clients with legal services to address their corporate and administrative legal needs in collaboration with BDO Canada’s accounting, tax and advisory services. With over 35 years of combined experience, our lawyers are problem-solvers and innovators. We look at new ways to deliver legal services and address our clients’ needs. We are not afraid to assume new responsibilities, tackle new challenges and build relationships as we navigate the ever-evolving legal landscape.
BDO Law is recruiting an experienced Corporate Law Clerk who shares our passion for client service. At BDO Law we are rethinking corporate law practices. This means, for example, that we maintain our clients' records in electronic form only for greater efficiency, security and accessibility. This is just one example of how we are different. This position is based in our downtown Toronto office, but flexible work arrangements are available.
Our ideal candidate has gained broad corporate secretarial and transactional experience from several years in a busy corporate and commercial practice at a recognized law firm. You are comfortable with the core corporate secretarial tasks, but enjoy the complexity and pace of transaction work. You are a critical thinking and can apply your solid understanding of corporate, trust and partnership legal principles and practices to deliver quality documents in a timely basis.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Handle incorporations, partnership and other business registrations (eg EPLs) and maintain minute books, corporate and PPSA registrations and fundamental corporate changes with expertise and efficiency.
- Able to understand accountant instruction letters related to complex tax-driven reorganizations, in order to prepare a closing agenda and necessary resolutions, agreements and other documents for the lawyers’ review.
- Conduct due diligence for M&A, financing and other transactions and prepare summaries and recommendations.
- Tackle complex minute book reviews with an understanding of the applicable corporate compliance obligations and the ability to provide lawyers with clear, concise reports and recommendations.
- Be a valuable contributor as we grow BDO Law, by forming trusted relationships with BDO Canada partners and staff and contributing to the development of our systems and precedents.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a similar role with a recognized law firm. A combination of private practice experience and relevant in-house corporate secretarial experience may be considered.
- College diploma in a relevant law clerk program or equivalent experience and a university degree will be considered an asset
- Demonstrable experience with a variety of corporate/commercial and financing transactions.
- Experience with maintaining corporate and other records in an electronic corporate database, preferably CorpLink.
- Able to work independently from our office, another BDO office or from home to support our lawyers and deliver services to clients located across Canada.
- Embraces accountability and ownership of team development at the group and individual levels.
- Confident communicator, self-starter and passionate about quality, thoroughness and follow-up.
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO is the 5th largest accounting and advisory firm in the world
- At BDO, we consider our people to be our most valuable asset; we offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you professionally and personally succeed
- We provide competitive salaries, a flexible benefits package and a matching RRSP option
- Opportunity to work with like-minded individuals to support career development
- BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives, FCC’s “Drive Away Hunger”, Children’s Miracle Network and United Way