HOOPP is seeking a Manager, Government Relations, to support the plan’s relationships with governments while helping to coordinate and support HOOPP’s efforts on public policy and regulatory issues. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, Government Relations, the Manager, Government Relations will play a critical role in protecting the interests of HOOPP’s over 350,000 members and helping the plan to navigate a complex and dynamic public policy and regulatory environment.
|Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor, identify, and analyze public policy, regulatory, and political developments, issues, and trends relevant to HOOPP;
- Supporting the AVP, Government Relation’s to work with subject matter specialists from across the organization prepare / provide feedback on HOOPP submissions to governments and regulators;
- Support the management of HOOPP’s relationships with governments and regulators at both a political and civil service level, including direct relationship development / management at the provincial and federal levels, tracking / documentation of HOOPP’s existing relationships, creating opportunities for other HOOPP personnel to interact with relevant government / regulatory officials, and proactive efforts to ensure HOOPP is cultivating the right relationships given its goals and issues;
- Support briefings for the SVP, Strategy and Stakeholder Relations and other members of executive team on public policy / regulatory issues;
- Support a cross-functional working group on government and regulatory affairs, including helping to prepare materials, coordinate meetings, and project-manage follow up;
- Support regular reporting to HOOPP’s executive team and board on government and regulatory developments;
- Support organization-wide collaboration on government relations issues, particularly with investments, plan operations, and legal and their role in the management of public policy and regulatory issues;
- In collaboration with colleagues, support HOOPP’s advocacy and thought leadership efforts.
|Qualifications and Skills
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in one or more of the following areas government relations and lobbying, public affairs, public policy, regulatory affairs, public administration with a minimum of two years business experience outside of Government;
- In-depth knowledge of government decision-making at both a political and civil service level;
- Sound judgment on issues with a high political, stakeholder, or reputational sensitivity and able to quickly establish credibility by identifying commonalities and make persuasive public policy arguments
- Strong writing skills;
- Highly developed organizational and coordination skills, including the ability to manage complex processes that cut across business units in a diplomatic and professional manner;
- Effective collaboration and relationship-management skills, ideally with experience in a decentralized work environment, including the ability to manage and strengthen relationships with government officials, colleagues across the HOOPP enterprise, and other senior external resources;
- A graduate or professional degree in one of the following areas would be an asset: public policy, law, public administration;
- Knowledge of and experience in one or more the following areas would be an asset: pension and/or financial services policy and regulation; health care policy; working in a highly-regulated industry; communications (including digital); quantitative and qualitative research; French as a second language.
||HOOPP's core values - professional, accountable, collaborative, compassionate and trustworthy - guide its every interaction with HOOPP members and employees. As one of Canada's largest and most respected multi-employer pension plans, HOOPP invests the net assets of its $77.8 billion Fund, administers the Plan and pays approximately $2.3 billion in pension benefits per year. With over 339,328 members and pensioners, and more than 548 participating employers, HOOPP's mission to deliver on the pension promise remains strong.
To remain one of the leading pension plans in Canada, we must continually challenge ourselves to improve our product, services and investment performance.HOOPP offers a professional environment designed to bring out the best in its employees.The organization's size and structure bring decision-making, accountability and ownership to the individual employee level. HOOPP employees are flexible and adaptable to work in cross-divisional teams in a fast-paced, rewarding environment.
HOOPP is an equal opportunity employer.We recruit and select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications.Should you require accommodation because of a disability during the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources.Our HR team will consult with you so that arrangements can be made for reasonable accommodation.