- BC Pension Corporation
- Victoria, BC
- Legal Counsel 2 ($121,030.09 $156,960.04)
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 10+ years
At BC Pension Corporation, we are committed to our people. We are an organization with well-being at its core; offering an outstanding workplace experience where all employees can achieve their full potential. Some highlights of what we offer include:
- Flexible work schedules (mobility work, modified work weeks, job sharing, etc.)
- Competitive compensation
- Ongoing training and professional development opportunities
- Comprehensive extended health and dental benefits for you and your family, including 100% employer paid MSP premium coverage
- Defined benefit pension program
- Health & wellness programs – lunchtime seminars, community health activities (yoga, kayaking, etc.) and a comprehensive Employee & Family Assistance Program
What is the opportunity?
The Legal Counsel functions with a high degree of independence and acts as general counsel for the BC Pension Corporation. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Legal Counsel provides expert and senior legal advice to the Board of Directors, Boards of Trustees, Executive and staff on a variety of complex legal, legislative, policy, operational and service issues. The Legal Counsel provides legal advice with respect to all legislation affecting the Corporation in its role as pension service provider, legislation affecting the pension plans as well as legislation affecting the Corporation as a business entity and as an employer.
What do you need to succeed?
- Bachelor of Law from a law school of recognized standing; AND Membership or immediately eligible for membership in the Law Society of BC;
- Minimum 10 years of call to the Bar of British Columbia; (10 or 11 years of call is Legal Counsel Level 2; 12 or more years of call is Legal Counsel Level 3). Experience gained in another jurisdiction may be assessed as equivalent and credited;
- Considerable experience working independently, exercising judgment and tact in an environment with changing and competing priorities;
- Experience in litigation and in providing legal advice and preparing legal opinions on a variety of complex legal issues;
- Experience in the provision of legal advice in a regulated or public sector environment.
- Prior in-house or public sector experience is an asset.
Interested in applying?
To learn more about the Legal Counsel position, please review the job description at the bottom of this page.
Please submit your application through the Apply feature located at the left of this page.
If you are unable to access the links, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lesser qualified applicants may be appointed at a lower level. An eligibility list may be established.
Testing may be required.
We thank you for your interest in working with us. You will be informed of your status in this competition as soon as possible.
Applications will be accepted until 11:59pm PST on the closing date referenced above. Late applications will not be considered.
Diversity & Inclusion
BC Pension Corporation is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
We are committed to ensuring that reasonable accommodations are made available to persons with disabilities during the recruitment, assessment and selection processes and will provide reasonable accommodations upon request. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at email@example.com.