- Government of Manitoba
- Winnipeg, MB
- LF3 $127,001.00 - $153,725.00 per year
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, Lawyer - Public Sector
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Securities Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
The Manitoba Securities Commission acts in the public interest to protect Manitoba investors and to facilitate the raising of capital while maintaining fairness and integrity in the securities marketplace. Similarly, its real estate industry mandate is to regulate brokers, salespeople and mortgage brokers to ensure adequate standards are maintained for the protection of the public.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be a member in good standing or eligible for membership with the Law Society of Manitoba.
- The ability to travel within Canada and the United States of America.
- Corporate and commercial law experience including practicing law as a member of the Law Society of Manitoba or an equivalent governing body.
- Experience in conducting complex litigation.
- Experience in a securities regulatory environment including policy development and application.
- Knowledge of securities and real estate regulation and legislation in Canada.
- Superior interpersonal communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Superior written communication skills with demonstrated ability to compose a variety of documents, policies, legislation and confidential correspondence.
- Strong negotiation skills using sound judgment, diplomacy and discretion when providing legal advice, persuasively advocating and resolving contentious issues.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to work independently in managing multiple priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative, professional and effective working relationships and partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience supervising and leading staff.
Reporting to the Director, the Legal Counsel supports the corporate finance, registration and compliance functions which are integral to the protection of individual investors, and supports the investigative and enforcement proceedings of the commission's mandate. Ensures legislation, regulations and rules are applied to real estate and financial service industry participants and their ongoing compliance with regulatory requirements.
A detailed position description is available upon request.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.