Brookfield Asset Management is a leading global alternative asset manager, focused on investing in long-life, high quality assets across real estate, infrastructure, renewable power and private equity. Our investments include one of the largest portfolios of office properties in the world, an industry-leading infrastructure business spanning utilities, transport, energy, communications infrastructure and sustainable resources, and one of the largest pure-play renewable power businesses that includes more than 200 hydroelectric facilities as well as several high quality business services and industrial companies. These businesses, totaling approximately $330 billion in assets under management, form the backbone of the global economy, supporting the endeavors of individuals, corporations and governments worldwide.
As a global firm, we support the employment of over 80,000 people in more than 30 countries while working to create strong, profitable businesses. As these businesses grow, we commit to best-in-class corporate social responsibility practices, mindful of the important role they play in fostering long-term value creation.
The Legal Analyst & Project Coordinator is accountable for the day-to-day monitoring and governance of the business policies, processes and procedures used by Brookfield’s global legal business units, including those supporting entity management and attestation controls, document management and retention, and audit procedures. The successful candidate will be the operational owner of the applications, policies, procedures and controls for the legal systems in use at Brookfield, including but not limited to Blueprint, the global entity management and corporate governance software, Alfresco, the document management software and Diligent the Board Portal System.
The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented, self-starter with strong communications and management skills. The person will have a legal background with experience gained at a large law firm or busy in-house legal department and must have a solid understanding of corporate legal organizations, legal concepts, and have ability to contribute valuable insights on plans for expanding the legal platform across other business units.
Process detailed knowledge of Brookfield’s legal policies, procedures and business concepts, including Company Secretarial Office and business organizational structure
- Business governance support – collaborate with the business to develop/maintain business standards and operational guidelines, define data quality and controls, enforce Brookfield standards for data completeness and accuracy, monitor periodic attestation activities, implement reports to support business operational, auditing and control processes
- Provide guidance on best practices – provide expert advice and support to business teams, develop/maintain guidelines, identify opportunities for process improvements from a governance perspective
- Central point of contact for communications with the business - engage the user community and foster collaboration among business groups and global teams, lead periodic user group meetings, facilitate governance committee meetings, notify the business of upcoming process or technical changes, be receptive of feedback from all users and take action to address issues and concerns
- Oversight and monitoring of corporate policies/procedures as they relate to Brookfield’s legal systems and ensure systems are used in adherence to agreed upon processes
- End user support – along with the internal support team including the technical analyst, assist users with day-to-day issues, diagnose problems and identify root cause, propose and implement appropriate business and/or technical solution
- End user training – develop and maintain training materials, quick reference guides and Help documentation, rollout and training to new hires and new business teams
- Identify and implement process improvements for the functional areas where you are engaged. Ensure a consistent and shared understanding of best practices across teams and functions
- Perform a variety of legal and administrative duties from time to time under the direct supervision of the VP Legal & Regulatory
- Law degree or Law Clerk Diploma from a recognized post-secondary program or Certificate from ILCO or a LL.B./JD
- 3-5 years’ experience as either corporate counsel or law clerk in a large corporate environment
- 1-2 years’ experience with legal entity management (e.g., Blueprint, GEMS), document management (e.g., Alfresco, Humming Bird) software and board portal system
- Strong oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills and commitment to professionalism
- Demonstrated ability to build strong collaborative relationships and gain consensus from diverse groups
- Strong in MS Excel, MS Office Suite, ability to prepare detailed reports and mine data within a database structure
- Excellent organization and analytical skills, thoroughness, and time management skills
- Experience in global commercial real estate, investment banking, or financial services industry is considered an asset
- Exceptional attention to detail, critical thought, problem solving and ability to see tasks and projects through to completion
- Project management experience, especially in a technical setting, is considered an asset
- An ability to respond positively under pressure and with a sense of urgency
- Ability to work unsupervised, as well as collaboratively as part of a team