- North York, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Labour & Employment Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Apotex is a proudly Canadian, global pharmaceutical company that produces high-quality, affordable medicines (both generic and innovative pharmaceuticals) for patients around the world. We are the 7th largest generic pharmaceutical company globally with more than 12,000 employees and estimated sales of approximately $3 billion. Our fully integrated operation is comprised of four lines of business: Global Generics; Apobiologix; Global Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API); and ApoPharma (Innovative Products). With our worldwide manufacturing sites, Apotex can produce up to 24 billion dosages per year. We produce 300 medicines in 4,000 dosages and formats that are exported to 115 countries. Apotex will spend $2 billion over the next 10 years on research and development.
Provide legal support on a wide variety of legal matters, including HR, contracts, regulatory, litigation and compliance, for the Apotex Group of companies globally and within the mandate of the Global Legal department.
Provides legal support services within the mandate of the Global Legal department, for all business functions and activities of the Apotex Group, at the direction of the Global Director, Senior Legal Counsel, including:
- Human Resources: reviewing, drafting, advising, and giving legal approval on employment contracts; advising and training on employment law; handling employee disputes;
- Commercial Contracts: reviewing, drafting, and advising and giving legal approval on contracts, including sales, supply, services, licensing, manufacturing, development, bioclinical, quality, pharmacovigilance;
- M&A / Corporate Development: structuring, co-ordinating and negotiating the legal aspects of mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, financings, investments, reorganizations and other strategic corporate development transactions;
- Litigation: managing litigation, dispute resolution and other legal proceedings, including the initiation, conduct and settlement of proceedings (but excluding patent and other intellectual property litigation);
- Compliance Programs: developing and maintaining corporate policies, procedures and programs to mitigate legal compliance risks; and
- Regulatory: providing legal guidance on regulatory matters and legal dealings with governmental agencies, including with respect to investigations and advocacy, and anti-trust/competition matters.
Supports global corporate programs and systems, at the direction of the Global Director, Senior Legal Counsel and in collaboration with other internal stakeholders, to enhance the effectiveness of legal support and legal risk mitigation for all business functions.
Supports the engagement and supervision of activities and compensation of outside counsel retained by the Apotex Group of companies, upon direction of the Global Director, Senior Legal Counsel.
Assists the Global Director, Senior Legal Counsel in the recruitment, training, management and succession planning for a team of in-house legal professionals in the Global Legal department.
Works in a safe manner collaborating as a team member to achieve all outcomes.
Demonstrates Behaviours that exhibit our organizational Values: Collaboration, Courage, Perseverance, and Passion.
Ensures personal adherence with all compliance programs including the Global Business Ethics and Compliance Program, Global Quality policies and procedures, Safety and Environment policies, and HR policies.
All other relevant duties as assigned.
- A law degree from a Canadian law school and a member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding and legal training in employment law, corporate and commercial law, with experience in the areas of contract law, negotiation, corporate policies, corporate governance, risk management, and dispute resolution.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build collaborative business relationships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to thoroughly evaluate alternatives, innovate problem resolution, employ a pro-active approach, and take initiative to resolve problems.
- Ability to think and act independently. Attentive to detail.
- Ability to manage and adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to quickly grasp legal and business issues and provide tailored legal advice and counsel in plain language.
- Ability to provide timely advice in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team environment.
- 1 – 5 years of experience, as in-house legal counsel in a large international company environment and / or in private practice at a top-tier law firm.
At Apotex, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported.
Apotex offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.