- Oakville, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 10+ years
We are always looking for amazing talent! People who can contribute to our current and future legal operations and deliver results! Geotab is actively seeking an experienced lawyer who holds a degree in law and license to practice in Ontario with at least 10 years of in-house and/or law firm experience. The ideal candidate should have experience in: dealing with large, sophisticated, regulated customers and partners in a global setting; corporate/technology Mergers and Acquisitions work, including acquisitions, financings and joint ventures; and global RFP responses and negotiations of complex supply/distribution agreements with large multi-national companies. The ideal candidate should also be familiar with data analytics, business intelligence and the challenges of advising a data-driven business in the current geopolitical climate. Finally, all interested candidates should love technology, be passionate about growing our business and be keen to join a leading edge engineering firm.
If you feel like we have described you, then we would love to hear from you!
What are the details of this position:
This is an exciting opportunity to provide your legal and business insights to a dynamic and rapidly growing business! Global expansion, both organic and through strategic partnerships and acquisitions has created a need for another experienced lawyer on our team. You will be joining an international team of lawyers made up of in-house and external counsel with specialist expertise and providing true thought leadership in data-driven mobility. As part of this position, you will obtain an in-depth understanding of our leading fleet management platform and the ecosystem of Geotab Partners, suppliers and Resellers. Your job is to help our in-house legal team manage an evolving, fast moving legal environment with a focus on large multi-faceted transactions, data privacy, intellectual property and software. You will use your expertise to tackle complex negotiations and transactions, advise on risk management, and develop agreements that support strong business relationships for Geotab and which reflect Geotab’s sophisticated, rapidly-changing technology.. Being a team player who is motivated to make a difference (while having fun) will make certain you enjoy working with your fellow Geotabbers. Exposure to the automotive sector, a strong business acumen, and an affinity for software, computing, and technology will help make you a successful candidate who will contribute to our Legal Team.
Duties and Tasks of this Position Include:
- Help manage complex universe of legal agreements with a major focus on software, data privacy and intellectual property. Includes, among others, end user agreements, distribution agreements, enterprise level customer agreements, wireless carrier agreements and non-disclosure agreements
- Support negotiations with resellers, customers, solution partners, suppliers, governments and other stakeholders in a global context. Integrate legal, technical and business considerations with a focus on practical solutions and strong business relationships
- Provide input into legal strategy addressing mass/electronic contracting, third party flow-through, and dynamic product development requiring constant upgrades and change
- Support legal aspect of risk management strategies with particular concern for product safety, compliance, cyber security, and non-practicing entities
- Provide input into strategies addressing industry-wide stakeholder dynamics emanating from broader issues related to big data, “internet of things”, data privacy and other emerging industry issues
- Develop in-depth technical knowledge and understanding of Geotab product offerings
- Support intellectual property litigation and settlements
- Provide general legal support for corporate, commercial and human resources/employment matters
- Support a straightforward, practical and no-nonsense business culture based on strong values and integrity
- Law degree and licensed to practice in Ontario (other jurisdictions considered)
- 10+ years experience with law firm or in-house legal department
- Experience negotiating and working with large, multi-national, regulated organizations
- Experience with technology-focused joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions and financings
- Familiarity with business intelligence and data analytics operations and the privacy and other considerations surrounding these activities
- Strong business acumen
- Previous exposure to and affinity for software, programming, computing and related technology
- Interest and experience in the automotive sector
- Willing and able to roll up sleeves and get things done
- Interest in expanding beyond a purely legal role
What makes our staff passionate about Geotab?
Table Tennis at the office! Bring your own bat!
Great accommodation (height adjustable desks)
Light breakfast served daily (cereals, bars and fresh fruit)
Hot lunch or fresh sandwiches served every Friday
Geotab sponsored sports teams, dress up days, fun social events
Full medical benefits & 4% company matching retirement savings plan
Our Core Values:
Geotabbers innovate and seek creative ways to continuously improve. Collaboration and teamwork defines the way we work. We love being ahead of the curve, using leading technology, and being agile in every way we do business. We work hard, and we definitely play hard. From the CEO - to the staff - there is an open-door policy for all of us to freely communicate. Geotabbers are dynamic, and enjoy working in a fast-paced work environment. We own our work and take responsibility in a true entrepreneurial spirit!
Geotab encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Geotab is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities throughout the interview, selection and employment process. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at (416) - 434 4309.