We are always looking for amazing talent at Geotab like people who can contribute to our current and future intellectual property efforts and deliver results! Geotab is actively seeking a Patent Agent who has completed an engineering or technical degree at a university level, and has the skills, education and experience to contribute immediately. The ideal person should be passionate about Intellectual Property, have experience with patent prosecution, and be keen to join a dynamic, leading edge team – if you feel like we have described you, then we would love to hear from you!
What are the details of this position:
The Patent Agent will immediately contribute to the day-to-day workload in the areas of patent procurement, as well as proactive avoidance of adverse patent situations. This position will work collaboratively with both Geotab’s Engineering and in house Legal teams to identify and prioritize invention opportunities. Key tasks for this role are to draft, file, and prosecute patent applications, review patent portfolios, and maintain best practices. The successful candidate will quickly learn and dig into the details of the Geotab’s telematics platform, be a strong independent worker, and provide valuable recommendations to the business.
Duties and Tasks/Essential Functions:
- Prepare, file and prosecute patent applications in Canada and the United States
- Mentoring & coaching candidates for the Canadian Patent Agent Examination
- Assist with patent clearance activities when required
- Assist with patent litigation activities when required
- Develop deep technical understanding of Geotab's end-to-end telematics platform
- Identify, draft and prosecute patent applications for key inventions within assigned technology areas
- Maintain and develop internal frameworks to ensure good intellectual property habits and processes
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Canadian Registered Patent Agent
- Experience working with technical product suite including hardware, firmware, software, database, and automotive components
- Comfortable working in an agile drafting environment
- Excellent computer skills, specifically with Google’s Business Suite is preferred
- Experience in interacting with senior executives with an ability to influence key stakeholders
What makes our staff passionate about Geotab?
Table Tennis at the office! Bring your own bat!
Great accommodation (height adjustable desks)
Light breakfast served daily (cereals, bars and fresh fruit)
Hot lunch or fresh sandwiches served every Friday
Geotab sponsored sports teams, dress up days, fun social events
Full medical benefits & 4% company matching retirement savings plan
Our Core Values:
Geotabbers innovate and seek creative ways to continuously improve. Collaboration and teamwork defines the way we work. We love being ahead of the curve, using leading technology, and being agile in every way we do business. We work hard, and we definitely play hard. From the CEO - to the staff - there is an open-door policy for all of us to freely communicate. Geotabbers are dynamic, and enjoy working in a fast-paced work environment. We own our work and take responsibility in a true entrepreneurial spirit!
Geotab encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Geotab is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities throughout the interview, selection and employment process. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at (416) - 434 4309.