Senior Legal Counsel
- Fairmont Hotels
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
We are much more than a world leader. We are 240,000+ hoteliers with a purposeful and heartfelt mission: to make every guest Feel Welcome in our 4,100 addresses and on our digital platforms. We are committed to a culture and guided by our values which make our talents Feel Valued. We want them to express their passions every day and realize their full potential through exemplary professional development and growth opportunities, enjoying a life filled with unlimited experiences. We are recognized as a top employer and a global hospitably leader.
We connect Hearts all around the world. To connect with us, please visit accorhotels.jobs and frhi.com/careers.
As a result of current and projected growth in the region, AccorHotels, North & Central America, is seeking a senior in-house legal counsel to work directly with the Regional General Counsel on a variety of contractual matters, including its procurement contracts and Hotel Management Agreements (“HMAs”). This individual will be responsible for all legal aspects involved in the operation of 90 hotels in North & Central America and the development of further hotel management and residential projects in the region.
Based out of Toronto Regional Office and reporting to the Senior Vice President & General Counsel, North & Central America, the responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Working with the AccorHotels Development team on the negotiation and completion of letters of intent, hotel management agreements, license and franchise agreements, technical services agreements, subordination and non-disturbance agreements and residential brand licensing and management agreements for Accor-branded hotels and residential projects.
- Supervising the “know your counterparty” (KYC) process on new development projects and managing the operator’s consent to the sale of existing hotels to new owners.
- Working on M&A projects and transactions that include joint ventures on hotel projects and other investments in hotel properties, loans or key money advanced to owners.
- Advising on the interpretation of existing agreements and issues as arise at hotels concerning operations (including pre-opening), accounting, data privacy, insurance, sales and marketing.
- Maintaining and revising template agreements and managing a database of current agreements and precedents.
- Reviewing and advising on significant procurement and property level hotel operating and service contracts from a commercial and legal perspective.
- Working with outside legal counsel and managing engagements and budgets.
- Managing up to two or three legal professionals in support of the above responsibilities.
- Working with in-house taxation and finance specialists on tax and finance matters and structuring.
- Advising on group sales contracts.
YEAR ONE CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
- Built strong working relationships, credibility and trust with the legal and senior management teams and all departments, as well as external legal counsel and stakeholders.
- Established a reputation for exceptional delivery, effectively executing on all key responsibilities.
- Helped enhance the view of the legal team as trusted advisors and business contributors.
- Five to twelve years of experience as a lawyer and qualified to practice in one or more states of the US or provinces of Canada.
- Extensive prior HMA experience with a law firm or branded hotel operator in Canada or the US.
- General hotel industry experience is a requirement, and experience with hotel franchising would be an added benefit.
- Spanish language skills an asset.
- JD/LLB and member of a law society.
- An undergraduate degree in business and/or a postgraduate degree (e.g. LLM, MBA) would be considered a strong asset.
VISA REQUIREMENTS: Must already be legally entitled to work in Canada to be considered for the position.