- Global RESP Corporation
- Richmond Hill, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
General Counsel will join a small team of highly dedicated professionals and provide legal expertise to the Global family of companies. This individual will have direct responsibility of all legal matters affecting Global and will also act as Privacy Officer for the organization.
On an interim basis, act as the Chief Compliance Officer for Global Growth Assets Inc., a registered Investment Fund Manager.
The incumbent of this role will act as the primary counsel for the group of companies and will have responsibilities in the following areas but not limited to:
• Provide legal advice and services to Global’s scholarship plan dealer, mutual fund dealership, full service investment dealer, insurance MGA, and investment fund manager;
• Responsible for oversight of the Chief Compliance Officers for both Global RESP Corporation and Global Growth Assets Inc.;
• Provide counsel on complex legal issues from accumulated knowledge and experience; draft and negotiate corporate and commercial documentation;
• Provide leadership on prospectus renewals, amendments and drafting prospectuses for new products;
• Preparing, reviewing and negotiating company contracts, requests for proposals and other legal documents;
• Provide advice on corporate governance matters to the Board and regulatory and compliance issues;
• Provide advice and counsel on contracts, regulatory matters, legal risks and employment matters;
• Act as Secretary to the various Boards and Audit Committees;
• Responsible for regulatory filings of documents;
• Maintain positive working relationships with all business partners and regulators (OSC, MFDA, AMF and IIROC);
• Ensure Global’s privacy principles, policies, procedures and practices are current and in harmony with existing legislation and best practices and provide support to affiliated entities’ privacy officers;
• Partner with the compliance departments on regulatory and compliance issues, current and anticipated, at provincial and federal levels;
• Prepare, communicate and educate internal client groups on changes in policies and practices within the organization;
• Provide leadership and legal advice on human resource and employment law matters;
• Develop and draft policies and practices for the organization;
• Staying abreast of relevant rules, securities law, national instruments, employment law as well as laws and regulations impacting the financial services;
• Direct external counsel, as needed.
• Law degree and called to the Bar of a Canadian province/territory;
• 6-10 years of experience gained at a securities law firm or corporate legal department;
• Prior in-house legal experience is a requirement;
• High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas
• Experience working in the financial industry, within regulated firms.
Competencies and Attributes:
• Ability to interpret rules, securities law, and national instruments;
• Risk assessment capabilities;
• Strong investigative and mediation skills;
• Superior interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
• Aptitude for technological advancements as a way to improve efficiencies and effectiveness;
• Knowledgeable on the current industry landscape and regulators;
• Strong negotiation and drafting skills;
• Attention to detail and analysis;
• Proven ability to manage multiple responsibilities with competing priorities and deadlines.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Global values the diversity of our workplace and a working environment where everyone has the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. We gladly provide accommodations to any candidate with a disability taking part in the selection process upon request.