- IHS Markit
- Vancouver, BC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
The Contracts team is a division of the Legal, Risk & Compliance department focused on IHS Markit’s customer contracting.
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and commercial lawyer to join IHS Markit’s contracts team.
You will be based in Vancouver, as part of a global department that spans North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia Pacific regions. This position reports to our Head of Contracts and works closely with products, sales, compliance and the rest of the global legal and contracts team.
You will work in a fast-paced environment, handling negotiations, drafting and advising on new product initiatives, strategies, service operating procedures, software and data licensing and distribution agreements, SaaS, hosting, sourcing and partnership arrangements, and a variety of other commercial matters.
This is a front-line role that requires a confident, commercially-minded lawyer with an enthusiasm for learning how to manage the legal aspects of complicated transactions and projects. You will need to have excellent drafting, negotiating, analytical and interpersonal skills, attention to detail, and a pro-active approach to your assignments.
IHS Markit is the premier provider and market leader in many financial technology, analytics and data areas, with sophisticated products and services, and customers that include global investment banks and asset managers (hedge funds and private equity funds) automotive manufacturers and suppliers, chemical and energy companies and government agencies.
Education and experience
- Qualified lawyer.
- Strong academic credentials with a degree from a university and legal qualification from a law school.
- Legal experience in negotiating, analyzing and drafting commercial and other business to business technology and information related contracts.
- Experience in managing projects, communicating with managers and colleagues both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to work across a range of commercial transactions simultaneously.
- Experience in financial services and/or automotive manufacturers/suppliers business is an asset.
We are looking for a lawyer who has up to 3 years of experience, either as in-house counsel or in private practice. This role is suitable for any enthusiastic corporate or commercial lawyer, with strong technological and financial acumen. Strong references required.
- Enthusiasm for commercial contract law is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- General knowledge of financial services industry and/or automotive manufacturers/suppliers business a plus.
IHS Markit offers a departmental structure in which the successful candidate should expect to be involved with multiple aspects of the Legal department’s work.
- Excellent relationship management skills, project management and influencing skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic work environment.
- Proven ability to communicate professionally to all levels, create presentations and management briefs.
- Ability to learn to anticipate potential problems and respond effectively.
- Excellent investigative, analytical, problem-solving and strategic skills.
Proven ability to drive results through others not in his/her reporting chain and to thrive in a dynamic work environment.
It is the policy of IHS Markit to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, IHS Markit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We maintain a drug-free workplace. For candidates in the US, we are a participant in E-Verify (see link below).