- Richmond, BC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
PressReader is looking for an entrepreneurial and collaborative lawyer to join our legal team in the role of a Corporate Counsel.
Reporting to the EVP, Chief Content Officer and General Counsel, and working with the executive team, the successful candidate hired to be the Corporate Counsel will be responsible for providing a full range of legal support to the company. This may include negotiating and drafting a wide range of policies and commercial contracts including NDAs, Product and Services, Agency, licensing, and other types of agreements, as well as look after corporate governance and restructure (as needed) needs.
This is full-time role and is ideal for a self-starter who is looking for some flexibility and balance in their work-life schedule.
The ideal candidate would be a strong and balanced negotiator who finds solutions that meet both our legal, corporate, and business objectives and who understands the balance between law and business flexibility. In this role, you will closely interact with our executive team and other stakeholders to ensure the intent and goals of our agreements are legally and commercially sound, documented, and finalized, meeting business objectives at the same time.
- Contributes as a reliable resource providing legal support and advice to internal and external stakeholders
- Reviews, drafts, develops, and negotiates commercial and strategic transactions including NDAs, Product and Services, Agency, licensing, and other types of agreements based on executive and management teams feedback to meet corporate objectives
- Facilitates decision-making by preparing concise legal briefing documents with conclusions and recommendations
- Risk management: proactively identifies and communicates the legal and business impacts of agreements in place and in contemplation
- Keeps current in their practice and proactively acts on legal matters that impact the company’s business
- Acts as the internal advisor and educator for ensuring confidentiality and IP protections are in place, known, and monitored
- Develops and maintains forms and agreement templates ensuring they are up-to-date with applicable laws and best practices
- Maintains and manages an up-to-date listing of all legal agreements and obligations
- Provides the required legal training to the internal teams to ensure the overall effectiveness of business units
- Looks after various elements of corporate governance
- Identifies, and works collaboratively with, external legal counsel when required
- University Degree and Member of a Provincial Bar in good standing with 5+ years of licensing and commercial transactions experience
- Highly-skilled negotiator and team player who proactively finds solutions and skilfully brings consensus to the best path forward
- Demonstrated ability to engage and to complete transactions quickly and effectively, while balancing business expectations with legal and regulatory compliance objectives in an efficient and effective manner
- Strong self-starter work ethic and positive attitude
- Incredible attention to detail
- Strong drafting and communication skills
- Speaking and writing in additional languages is considered an asset
- Ability to work independently yet collaboratively while keeping key stakeholders informed
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat)
- Ability to work a varied schedule and travel to negotiate agreements internationally, as needed
- Intellectual property, securities, publishing, and/or high tech companies experience is desirable, but not require
Our benefits package is extensive and covers you and your family. It includes:
- Provincial Health Care with extended Health, Dental and Vision coverage;
- Long-term disability;
- Paid vacation, sick and bereavement days;
- Reimbursements for professional training and membership in the professional associations;
- Gym membership and more.
This is a full time permanent position working from our corporate office in Richmond BC.
Please apply with a resume and cover letter at https://pressreader.workable.com/j/1C38B2907D using the Apply button.
Please be advised that only the candidates pre-selected for the interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
We appreciate your interest in our company. You can learn more about this and other openings with us at https://about.pressreader.com.