Legal Services - Pool of Candidates for Legal Counsel and Senior Legal Counsel Positions
- Dorval, Québec
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
At Bombardier, our employees work together to evolve mobility worldwide - one good idea at a time. If you have a good idea, we’ll provide the environment where it will thrive and grow into a great product or customer experience. Your ideas are our fuel.
As a member of the Legal Services and Contracts team based in Dorval, Québec, you will report to the Director, Legal Services, and provide legal support to the business. We are looking for both Legal Counsels and Senior Legal Counsel for current and future opportunities in any one of the following specialties:
- Collaborate with internal clients in the resolution of various contentious or potentially contentious matters by investigating issues, analyzing facts, providing guidance, drafting letters or agreements, and negotiating with various stakeholders in order to prevent lawsuits or develop strategies in anticipation of litigation;
- Handle Bombardier’s obligations as part of the discovery (including “e-discovery”) phase of complex litigation matters worldwide, including employee witness preparation;
- Supervise outside counsels’ work, develop effective strategies with them and take part in the various phases of litigation (motions, depositions, trials).
- Provide legal support to various internal teams, including, contracts, new and pre-owned sales, marketing, finance, structured finance, fleet account management, and flight operations;
- Support and / or lead the negotiation of multi-million dollar cross border agreements related to the sale of private jets around the world. You will be responsible for drafting complex and specialized terms and conditions that balance Bombardier’s risk and the needs of our unique customers;
- Draft and negotiate an array of commercial agreements such as, letters of intent, aircraft leases, secured financing instruments, and marketing agreements.
- Assist and / or lead the negotiation, drafting or review of various commercial contracts related to the support of the Bombardier aftermarket business including but not limited to proposals, support services agreements, financing agreements, real estate leases, government incentive agreements, authorized service facility agreements, maintenance contracts, training agreements, rebate agreements, fixed cost of repair and other vendor contracts for the provision of maintenance services;
- Support and review marketing publications, media communications and other related documents;
- Manage potentially litigious matters, combining your business acumen with your risk mitigation abilities (on a smaller scale).
Draft and negotiate complex procurement agreements for aircraft systems and major structures, including purchase, manufacturing, service and consulting agreements, as well as agreements involving intellectual property rights and other matters;
Provide legal advice and support in the day-to-day activities of Procurement, Logistics, Aircraft Program and Engineering;
Provide strategic advice and assume a leading role in risk management;
Claims management, including reviewing, drafting and advising on settlement agreements and collection of necessary information.
- Assist and / or lead the negotiation, drafting and review of various contracts with external suppliers of information technology goods and services, including software licenses, equipment purchase and lease agreements, cloud services agreements, outsourcing agreements, consulting agreements, data processing agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and other similar documents;
- Interface with Bombardier Business & Information Solutions personnel to help refine and focus information technology and business requirements, statements of work and project descriptions, and to establish agreement and licensing frameworks to address clients’ needs;
- Create and maintain template agreements, as well as internal procedures and processes for the execution, administration and management of IT contractual documents.
ENGINEERING, R&D, INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY:
- Assist and / or lead the negotiation, drafting and review of various contracts with external research and development collaborators (including non-disclosure agreements, fee-for-service agreements, collaborative research agreements, university chairs, research consortia agreements, and other similar documents) or of various technology or intellectual property centric contractual documents (including data license agreements and technology transfer and licenses agreements);
- Interface with engineering and development team personnel to help refine and focus statements of work and project descriptions, and to establish intellectual property and licensing frameworks for external R&D interactions;
- Create and maintain template agreements, as well as internal procedures and processes for the execution, administration and management of contractual documents;
- Provide specialized intellectual property and licensing advice and counsel in support of commercial transactions.
As our ideal candidate,
- You are a practicing member of the Bar of at least one Canadian Province or one U.S. State, including preferably the Québec Bar. Having earned a degree in both civil law and common law would be considered an asset;
- LEGAL COUNSEL: You have a minimum of 5 years of experience practicing commercial or transactional law or commercial litigation, with at least 3 years of practice within a renowned law firm;
- SENIOR LEGAL COUNSEL: You have a minimum of 8 years of experience practicing commercial or transactional law or commercial litigation, with at least 3 years of practice within a renowned law firm;
- You show leadership skills, a strong level of autonomy and excellent judicial instincts both in a litigious or business context in order to have the required confidence to make difficult and strategic decisions. You will show a capacity to challenge or rethink strategies presented by outside counsels;
- You are comfortable to evolve in a highly technical environment in which engineering/aerospace concepts are frequently discussed; previous legal experience in the aerospace field will be considered an asset;
- LITIGATION: You have relevant expertise in complex commercial litigation, most of which at a renowned law firm;
- SALES AND CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE: You have strong negotiation, drafting and communication skills as well as a superior capacity to influence and convince people; you are available to travel frequently around the world if needed, sometimes on short notice;
- SUPPORT TO PROCUREMENT: You have experience in claims management and support to manufacturing operations;
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY: You have previous academic or work experience related to, or a strong personal interest in, Information Technology. You also have experience in IT Law, negotiation of IT contracts and agreements, including software licensing and complex procurement transactions;
- ENGINEERING, R&D & INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: You have experience involving technology and licensing. Having an Engineering or Science degree and a strong personal interest in science and technology as well as being registered as a patent agent with the Canadian, U.S or European Patent Office will be considered an asset.
- You are perfectly bilingual (French and English), both verbally and in writing.
Bombardier is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities to apply.
The purpose of this posting is to generate a bank of proactive applicants for our current and future opportunities in our Legal Services team. If you are interested in joining the Bombardier family, apply now!
Your ideas move people.