Legal Administrative Assistant
- Vancouver, BC
- Legal Assistant, Legal Secretary
- Minimum Level of Education
- Certificate from community college
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Reporting to the chief legal counsel (CLC), the legal administrative assistant provides high-level administrative support to the CLC and to the committees that are supported by the CLC.
This position offers vital organizational assistance to support the successful running of the department and the committees that the CLC supports. It is expected that the legal administrative assistant has a genuine appreciation for and understanding of discretion and professionalism, is able to accept and assume responsibility, and has the ability to interpret and make decisions in accordance with prescribed procedures and practices of the College.
This position calls for the ability to act with a high degree of independence, attention to detail and accurate decision-making, as well as a demonstrated ability to act with initiative and sound judgment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- single point of contact for the CLC, responding to general inquiries from staff, registrants and members of the public
- maintains the CLC’s bring-forward system, checking to ensure all relevant material is included so that the CLC can properly prepare for meetings
- sorts and prepares incoming and outgoing mail for the CLC
- assist with compiling all supporting documentation for the governance portion of the Human Resources and Governance Committee meetings
- assist with compiling all supporting documentation for the Nominating Committee and its meetings
- attend department and other meetings to record, draft, and edit minutes, ensuring all decisions have been recorded and reflected accurately
- update the College’s insurer regarding litigation matters involving the College, and track all such matters
- monitor, track and maintain all records of outside-counsel costs
- create, update and maintain outside-counsel files
- liaise with physicians and legal counsel regarding corporate requests relating to dba clinic names and BC Corporate Registry name approvals
- ongoing maintenance of legal precedents and established procedures
- communicate with external parties, including health authorities, law enforcement agencies, and external legal counsel on routine matters
- liaise regularly with the registrar, registrar staff, deputy registrars, and College committees to offer assistance and resolve queries
- committee support
- assist with preparation of material for the committees including Discipline Committee, Human Resources and Governance Committee, and Nominating Committee
- ensure accurate uploads of all the committee meeting documentation onto SharePoint
- arrange necessary printing and distribution of handouts and agendas
- book meeting rooms and arrange for catering requirements
- arrange necessary IT equipment such as overhead projectors, audiovisual equipment and flip charts
- accountable for the organization of all travel arrangements for the CLC as appropriate
- monitor, track and maintain all records of expenditures, including submission of forms/receipts to finance department
- book flights and hotel accommodation as appropriate
- ensure registration of CLC at conferences, meetings, special events and functions as required
- maintain office records and design common filing systems
- maintain legal filing systems, legal publications, and binders for complaints, surveys, legislation and precedents
- ensure the procedure for record retention is followed in accordance with the guidelines and policies set out by the records, information and privacy department
- monitor, track and maintain an accurate master list of resolution numbers and original copies of resolutions
- liaise with departments to ensure all committee minutes have been submitted and are filed and archived in accordance with College record retention guidelines
- other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the CLC
- plan workload independently and prioritize conflicting demands in order to achieve objectives
- be responsive, identifying solutions to problems that arise
- demonstrate capability to multi‐task within own area of responsibility and in support of department as required
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR/JUDGMENT
The employee is expected to perform professionally and make proper and sound decisions. With access to a wide range of confidential information that may be governed by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA), the employee must make informed decisions regarding the release of information.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required skills and qualifications include the following:
- legal administration certificate or diploma required, or equivalent
- minimum three years of work experience in a legal environment
- previous minute-taking experience is essential
- critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- ability to work with discretion in preparing and handling sensitive information
- ability to perform multiple tasks, balance continuous demands and priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- ability to organize and set work priorities
- ability to take direction and work both independently and as a team member
- ability to demonstrate strong work ethic and initiative in a team environment
- maintain professional demeanour while communicating with internal and external parties
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has been recognized as one of BC’s top employers since 2011 and one of Canada’s top 100 employers since 2014. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly-talented employees. We offer an excellent working environment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Click here to download the job description.
How To Apply
All applications for this position must be submitted online via this page
Please read through all of the questions; you may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document before you start filling out the fields below.
To begin the application process, complete the questions below. You will have the opportunity to attach your resume and other documents on the next page. Note: You must submit your resume online. Ensure you have your resume ready to attach.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.