- Fleet Complete
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Labour & Employment Law, Privacy Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Success stories, like this don’t happen everyday. From humble beginnings as a courier industry solutions provider in Canada, Fleet Complete quickly grew to be one of the world’s leaders in telematics and connected mobility solutions for a wide variety of industries with fleets, assets and mobile workers.
Today, with 20 years in the industry, Fleet Complete is one of the fastest growing IoT (Internet of Things) companies across the globe, operating in 17 countries with offices in Canada, Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Australia. Fleet Complete continues to winemployer, innovation and business awards thanks to our relentless customer centric approach and commitment to company values ofInnovation, Quality, Customers, Productivity, People and Community.
Thanks to strong partnerships and sound investments, our trusted Fleet and Mobile workforce platform provides real-time insights, visibility, employee safety and overall operational efficiency. This helps organizations, municipalities and businesses of all sizes to modernize their operations with ease. Fleet Complete is known for hiring, growing and empowering talented people who develop innovative products, build powerful relationships and provide personalized support that is unparalleled in our industry. Join Fleet Complete on our next chapter and we can work together to "help fleets thrive".
MAIN BUSINESS OBJECTIVES:
Reporting to the EVP, General Counsel, the Corporate Counsel will have an advisory role, working across the company to oversee legal, risk management and regulatory governance. While Fleet Complete continues its high growth, the Corporate Counsel will increase and maintain the company’s reputation. As Corporate Counsel you will ensure compliance, legal conformity and diminish the company’s probability of exposure. Your success in this role will be determined by a tangible impact on a multitude of legal services that aim to guarantee the company follows strict guidelines and protocols. Fleet Complete is looking for an entrepreneurial, inquisitive and analytical Lawyer to join the team as a critical member in meeting our strategic business goals for the future.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work independently and in conjunction with the EVP, General Counsel to provide accurate and timely legal counsel on a variety of topics
- Create and uphold corporate risk management standards and effective regulatory compliance strategies; ensure all activities and dealings fall within that scope
- Draft, review, and negotiate contracts for all business units within the company
- Develop policies to bridge gaps in existing policies
- Draft terms and conditions in agreements, while managing various projects and deadlines
- Interpret and ensure compliance with regulatory changes or new legislation
- Communicate legal risks to business partners related to negotiated provisions in contracts
- Ensure management executes on Service Level agreements and delivery obligations to customers
- Research unique legal issues impacting the company by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions etc.,
- Review Statement of Works (SOWs), assist in reviewing and writing RFI/RFPs
- Provide advice and participate in Due Diligence in joint ventures, strategic partnership deals, and mergers and/or acquisitions
- Draft and negotiate Letters of Intent (LOIs) and share/assets purchase agreements
- Provide advice and guidance on Technology, Trademark and Human Resources issues and requirements in North America and globally
- Create relationships and manage contact with outside counsel
- Review advertising and marketing materials to ensure compliance with legal requirements
All applicants must possess the following:
- Minimum 4 years’ experience at a top tier firm or in-house experience
- Law degree from an accredited Canadian or American law school
- Called to the bar in a Province of Canada; Member in good standing to practice law
- Ideally prior experience as in-house legal counsel advising on privacy law, corporate law, employment law, CASL and/or general contract matters
- Experience in business law, familiarity with regulatory reporting within a technology field
- Knowledge of regulatory policies and experience assessing potential business impact and opportunities
- Ability to provide training to Fleet Complete employees on substantive legal topics.
- Sound working knowledge of corporate and contract law, and exposure to IT/IP law
- Must be proficient in drafting and solidifying agreements, contracts and other legal documents
- Ideal candidates also demonstrate the following:
- Boundless professionalism and a capacity to multitask and manage time effectively using prioritization
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Ability to work well on your own but enjoy participating in a dynamic and fast-paced team environment
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills to work across the organization and support cross-functional teams
- Exceptional organizational abilities, prioritization techniques
- Innovative and resourceful with a strong sense of corporate awareness
Fleet Complete will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. If you require accommodation during the interview or recruitment process, please contact the Recruitment Team at 866-649-7949.
Fleet Complete is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran’s status or any other legally-protected factors.