Legal Counsel, Corporate & Compliance
- BRP Inc.
- Montreal, QC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Securities Law, Compliance
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
LIFE AT BRP
We create innovative ways to move – on snow, water, asphalt. In the air, on the ground and everywhere in between.
Built on a 75-year tradition of ingenuity and intensive customer focus, BRP is headquartered in the Canadian town of Valcourt, Quebec and operates manufacturing facilities in Canada, the United States, Mexico, Finland, and Austria. We have a total workforce of more than 10,000 driven, resourceful people.
Our portfolio of industry-leading and distinctive products includes Ski-Doo and Lynx snowmobiles, Sea-Doo watercraft, Can-Am on- and off-road vehicles, Alumacraft and Manitou boats, Evinrude and Rotax marine propulsion systems as well as Rotax engines for karts, motorcycles and recreational aircraft. We support our lines of product with a dedicated parts, accessories and clothing business to fully enhance your riding experience.
Because it’s not about the destination. It’s about the journey. Yours.
We are passionate and qualified; by joining BRP, you will evolve within an experienced team that will welcome you with open arms. www.brp.com. Follow us on:
- LinkedIn @BRP;
- Twitter @BRPnews;
- Facebook @BRPinfo
WHY JOIN THE TEAM?
- Fantastic opportunity to work for a dynamic publicly-traded company with premium brands and an exceptional quantity of great projects in the pipeline!
- The leadership is resolutely fostering teamwork and continuous improvement.
- Our mindset is to allow people the space they need to make a difference and put forward their best aptitudes.
YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Director, Legal Services, Corporate & Compliance, the Legal Counsel, Corporate & Compliance is part of the small and highly-performing legal team that is responsible for: (i) BRP’s compliance program; (ii) all matters of corporate and securities law; and (iii) the support to most corporate functions of the organization such as Finance, Business Developments (M&A), Information Systems & Technologies, Global Marketing (including digital marketing) and others.
Key responsibilities include:
- Supports the day-to-day operations of BRP’s global ethics and compliance program, including for example initiatives regarding the code of ethics, the anti-corruption policy, the insider trading policy, competition laws and data privacy.
- Participates to innovative projects related to BRP’s corporate functions, mainly in finance, business development (M&A), information systems & technologies and marketing.
- Participates to corporate governance initiatives, securities transactions, finance transactions and prepares securities law disclosures and events.
- Leads corporate law projects and ensures proper updating of corporate records.
- Develops and operationalizes effective corporate policies and procedures.
- Monitors regulatory trends and benchmarks BRP’s practices for corporate and compliance matters.
- Works with various departments to develop, manages and maintains an effective training and communication program for corporate and compliance matters.
YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- 5 to 10 years’ experience as a lawyer in-house for an international company or in a large international law firm.
- Excellent knowledge of ethics and compliance principles, practices and applications.
- Experience in securities, corporate and commercial laws.
- Very strong drafting skills, and impactful verbal communication skills.
- Strategic team player with high integrity and ethical standards.
- Politically savvy with the ability to quickly assess situations and identify how to proceed through both formal and informal channels.
- Ability to work across every level of an organization and to relate effectively with executives and operational teams.
- Experience leading projects with multi-disciplinary professionals.
- Perfectly bilingual in French and English.
- The person sought has excellent judgment; shows curiousness, discipline, autonomy and initiative in his or her work. The person is also good at managing pressure and is excellent at prioritizing work.
- The position is based in downtown Montreal.