- JD, LL.B or equivalent degree.
- Qualified lawyer in Canada.
- 3 years of attorney work experience.
- Experience in private practice or in an in-house team in Canada.
- 5 years of attorney work experience.
- Demonstrated experience advising clients in structuring, drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements.
- Familiarity with online technologies, including cloud computing, and related regulatory issues, including privacy.
- Ability to work collaboratively, independently, strategically and with sound judgment.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure.
- Excellent communication skills.
About the job
As Corporate Counsel at Google, you work on the most exciting legal issues as disruptive technological innovations require creative and proactive legal guidance. You're part of a whip-smart group of in-house lawyers and the projects and cases you take on challenge you to think big and differently. You are collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of the business and work with Googlers from all over the company. As an integrated part of the team, you proactively assess legal risks and advise on products that will not only move information into the 21st century, but move information law forward as well.
You are an outstanding lawyer with a genuine interest in technology who thinks creatively and strategically. As Associate Corporate Counsel, you work on the most exciting legal issues. You are an adept commercial counsel, supporting our many business lines, including our Google Cloud business in Canada, drafting and negotiating enterprise, reseller, professional services and other business and technology agreements and assisting with product go-to-market initiatives, marketing activities and regulatory matters. You are collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of the business and work with Googlers from all over the company. You enjoy rolling up your sleeves to handle complex issues, but at the same time are eager to pitch in where needed to assist our rapidly growing businesses in a collegial, fast-paced environment.
20th century laws don't always solve 21st century problems, and Google Legal crafts innovative approaches for handling some of the toughest legal challenges of the information age. Whether you're a patent attorney, an intellectual property expert or an engineer headed to law school, Google Legal lets you take on unanswered legal quandaries and create new precedents. Our innovative services raise challenging questions that demand creative and practical answers. We provide those answers by working at the crossroads of the law and new technology, helping Google build innovative and important products for users around the world.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a diverse range of commercial agreements, including cloud services, professional services, reseller and other business and technology agreements that comply with company policies and risk tolerance.
- Respond promptly to a wide variety of legal requests from internal clients, summarizing and communicating legal concepts that business people can use; advise your business colleagues and other cross-functional stakeholders on legal issues and risks, approval processes, company policies and procedures, and business strategy.
- Help ensure product and operational compliance with Canadian laws and regulations, including those dealing with privacy. Coordinate with external legal counsel on specific assignments, review preliminary advice and provide internal recommendations.
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, legal processes and repositories of legal knowledge.
- Assist as necessary in the other work of the Canadian legal team to advise the business on our activities in Canada, including product management for online services and hardware, marketing, communications, policy and more.