Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
Provides valued solutions and sophisticated advice on a broad range of securities and corporate law matters for the Bank. You will have expert knowledge of securities and corporate law and be willing to work on a wide variety of issues, sometimes with no precedent.
- Supporting the Bank’s Group Treasury function on securities law issues and offerings in Canada, the US and internationally; support Global Banking and Markets on structured note offerings and investment banking matters;
- Working collaboratively within the Legal Department and with multiple stakeholders including Compliance and Finance;
- Participating as Scotiabank’s legal representative on select external and internal industry associations;
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 8 years of experience in the securities and corporate law area gained from a major financial institution or law firm.
- The ability to give pragmatic advice, review, negotiate and draft commercial and other agreements, lead securities offerings, instruct outside counsel, multi-task and take on new challenges will be essential to succeed in this role.
- The successful candidate should be versatile, collaborative with strong analytical skills, have excellent judgment and strong business acumen, problem solving skills and the ability to work independently.
- Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Recommend and communicate high quality and valued advice and counsel on a broad range of legal matters related to securities and corporate law.
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with internal business units.
- Graduate of a recognized law school
- Private practice or in-house experience with a specialty in securities law
- Membership in the law society of one of the provinces of Canada
- Being qualified to practice US law an asset
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Code of Conduct.
- Champions a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada’s International Bank, we are a leader when it comes to inclusion. We are a diverse and global team, speaking more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible.