- Mississauga, ON
- Legal Assistant
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Certificate from community college
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Desjardins Group is the largest cooperative financial group in Canada, and one of the largest employers in the country. It offers a full range of financial products and services and is home to a wealth of expertise in property and casualty insurance, life and health insurance, wealth management, services for businesses of all sizes, securities brokerage, asset management, venture capital, and secure, leading-edge virtual access methods.
The person in this position assumes various operational support responsibilities related to activities and processes in the unit that require processing, analysis, and follow-up with the person in charge of the file, using activity reports, debriefings and statistics, etc.
- To provide confidential administrative support to Legal Counsel.
- Aid Legal Counsel to manage his or her time (i.e. diary, scheduling appointments, preparing and following-up on meetings or cases, and writing up of reports).
- Open, sort and distribute mail and/or email in our paperless environment.
- Transcribe and compile (from dictated and/or written material memos, court and arbitration pleadings, reports and correspondence for Legal Counsel.
- Arrange appointments pertaining to meetings, mediations, arbitrations and examinations for discovery.
- Brief and organize file material including medical records.
- Compile affidavits of documents and assist in preparing matters for trials or arbitrations.
Other working conditions
Position for Mississauga Claims Legal Department
- Positions are available throughout Grand Toronto Area (Mississauga, North York and Toronto)
- Number of available positions : 1
- Trade school diploma in a legal secretary discipline
- A minimum of one year of relevant experience
Please note that other combinaisons of qualifications and relevant experience may be considered
Knowledge of Rules of Civil Procedure and Insurance Defense Litigation, Superior and accurate transcription skills using a Dictaphone with keyboarding skills of 40 wpm.
Desjardins Cross-sector skills
Accountability, Collaborates, Customer Focus, Innovation
Key competencies for the job
Communicates effectively, Drive results, Engagement, Situational adaptability