- CPP Investment Board (CPPIB)
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investment Board (CPPIB), you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $350 billion, CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to exceed $450 billion by 2025. CPPIB invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPPIB attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPPIB’s important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board has an opening for a lawyer to support commercial contracting, knowledge management and other enterprise legal matters. Reporting to a Director, Legal, the successful candidate will join a dynamic team of legal and compliance professionals who engage directly with senior leadership and business units to help them navigate, understand and comply with legal and regulatory requirements in a manner consistent with our Guiding Principles and our mandate to help ensure a stable retirement income for 20 million CPP contributors and beneficiaries.
- Provide advice and assess legal risk in connection with the review and amendment of commercial contracts; manage and enhance contractual templates and precedents, working closely and collaboratively with paralegal professionals and other lawyers in the Legal Department
- Provide advice and assess legal risk in connection with the review and negotiation of material issues arising in relation to commercial and investment-related non-disclosure agreements
- Provide legal advice and support for organizational treasury functions, including bank and custodial arrangements and debt issuance programs
- Development, maintenance and monitoring of the Legal Department’s knowledge management system, in collaboration with the legal, compliance and board secretariat teams, including acting as a central resource and point of contact for advisory precedents, precedent management, research, and integration of knowledge management content with organizational information governance programs and policies
- Enhancement and management of global regulatory monitoring, in collaboration with the compliance team and other members of the Legal Department, across the organization, and external counsel relationships
- Generally assist on other legal matters as they arise
- LL.B./LL.M or JD required
- 3 to 5 years of relevant legal experience in sophisticated corporate/commercial private practice at a major law firm or an in-house corporate legal department, including experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements
- Knowledge of, and experience managing, legal knowledge management systems is a plus
- Willingness to lead, create new ideas, and be assertive
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to work cooperatively with many different stakeholders and ability to manage outside counsel
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Strong organizational skills; flexible, adaptable, and able to manage ambiguity and multiple projects
- Motivated self-starter with ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Professional conduct reflecting the quality of work, ethical values and high standards of CPP Investment Board
Visit our Linkedin Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn. #LI-PM1
At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
CPP Investment Board does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investment Board to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investment Board will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.