Law Clerk, Litigation
- City of Mississauga
- Mississauga, ON
- Law Clerk
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Certificate from community college
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Working for the City means you are part of something big, something special!! You will be part of a team of engaging, enthusiastic and dedicated people who are committed to collaborating with one another to deliver on our commitment to the residents, visitors and businesses of Mississauga.
Do you want to be part of a dynamic team by provide litigation support to the lawyers practicing in the areas of construction litigation, commercial litigation and insurance defence litigation?
You can make an impact by joining the City of Mississauga's legal team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Deputy City Solicitor, Litigation, the successful candidate will provide litigation support to the lawyers practicing in the areas of construction litigation, commercial litigation and insurance defence litigation and will be responsible for:
- Organizing and maintaining litigation files;
- Document production, including preparation of Affidavits of Documents, summaries of productions and discovery briefs;
- Management of electronic data for adjudications, discovery, and trial;
- Reviewing and summarizing transcripts and managing undertakings and refusals;
- Preparing charts, chronologies and summaries of evidence for use on adjudications, discovery and at trial;
- Preparing mediation, adjudication and pre-trial briefs;
- Arranging and participating in meetings with client groups and experts;
- Preparing bills of costs and enforcing judgments;
- Preparation for trials and/or hearings;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum 5-7 years as a law clerk in a litigation practice within a law firm or in-house legal department
- Law Clerk Diploma or Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario Certificate (or equivalent education)
- Experience with construction litigation, including construction lien actions, is an asset
- Professional demeanor and excellent interpersonal skills for communicating with client groups, lawyers and the general public
- Attention to detail and strong organizational, investigative, fact-finding and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize workload independently and with sound judgment to both follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative as required
- Knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure and relevant statutes
- Demonstrated computer literacy in programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience with e-discovery and legal document management software is an asset
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 69,629.00 - $ 92,842.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section: CMO/City Manager's Office , CMO/Legal Services , Litigation
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.