As part of the TMX general counsel’s office (GCO) and reporting to the Vice President, Commercial Services, the Legal Counsel, Commercial Services is responsible for supporting TMX Group Limited and its affiliates (including Toronto Stock Exchange) on a variety of commercial and transactional matters across the enterprise.
• Draft, review and negotiate a broad range of contracts on behalf of various internal lines of business, including:
o Work closely with the vendor management team on all types of supplier contracts, including technology and intellectual property licensing, software development, outsourcing, professional and support services and service levels, proof of concept, consulting services, purchasing, distribution, revenue share and other commercial agreements
o Work with business lines to develop and maintain standard form agreements for products and services offered by the company in support of strategic initiatives and in the ordinary course
o Support the contract requirements for multi-faceted commercial transactions, including strategic projects and business alliances, internal reorganizations, acquisitions and divestitures
• Provide legal advice and support for the development and execution of commercial strategies and initiatives, including support for the development and launch of new products/services and the procurement of new businesses, assets and technologies and outsourcing transactions
• Provide legal advice and support on a wide range of day to day commercial matters, including technology initiatives, intellectual property, confidential information, information security, CASL and privacy-related matters, competition law compliance, liability and legal disclaimers, website content, promotion and marketing materials, corporate policies, contract interpretation, commercial and IP dispute resolution and litigation management
• Other duties, as assigned
• Called to the Bar of Ontario with membership in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada, or similar designation in another Canadian province
• Qualified legal professional with at least 5+ years of relevant, working experience
• Knowledge and experience drafting, negotiating, structuring and advising on various types of commercial contracts and transactions, including relating to all aspects of information technology and procurement
• Good overall understanding of intellectual property law and other technology-related legal principles
• Experience with protecting intellectual property and/or establishing and managing an intellectual property portfolio, including trade-marks, domain names, patent applications, patents and copyright is a strong asset
• Exceptional written and verbal communication, negotiation and drafting skills; demonstrated consistent and prompt use of sound legal and business judgment
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and attention to detail
• Pragmatic approach, including the ability to simplify legal constructs and concepts for business colleagues and non-legal audiences
• Team oriented and able to build relationships with all levels of the organization.
TMX is committed to creating and sustaining a collegial work environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity and respect and one which reflects the diversity of the community in which we operate. We provide accommodations for applicants and employees who require it.