Area Director/Staff Solicitor (Permanent) - Wabush
Come for the career, stay for the lifestyle. Make the move to Labrador West, Newfoundland and Labrador.
Legal Aid NL is currently searching for an Area Director/Staff Solicitor (Permanent) for a unique opportunity in a diverse northern community.
Legal Aid NL is proud to provide an innovative and collaborative legal aid system that responds to the needs of low income persons. This is your opportunity to live in a Northern Community where your passion for access to justice and your love of the outdoors combine to provide a fast-paced, fulfilling work life balance.
The successful candidate will act as delegate for the Provincial Director’s Office in the provision of Legal Aid Services within the Wabush Area Office while ensuring compliance with the Legal Aid Act, Regulations and the Policy Manual of the Commission.
The successful candidate will have a wide range of responsibilities including but not limited to:
- overseeing the Intake process, including ensuring that appointments are timely, making determinations and/or providing guidance to staff solicitors as to case merit, making determinations and/or providing guidance to Client Service Officers on financial eligibility including payment agreements
- maintaining Case Assignment and Criminal Assignment Queue’s
- assessing potential Conflicts of Interest
- reviewing monthly reports from the Legal Aid Management Information System (LAMIS) and taking appropriate action as required
- receiving and recording first level Appeals and reassessment of decisions when required
- addressing client complaints and following up on any performance issues that may arise
- overseeing articling students
- performing office duties such as Duty Counsel and Office Counsel
- conducting Performance Reviews and/or Practice Reviews
- providing assistance to other Area Offices as required
- ensuring compliance with relevant legislation such as Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (ATIPPA) and Workplace Health Safety and Compensation Act (WHSCC)
- carrying out other initiatives and projects as may be required
Additionally the successful candidate will have an active Staff Solicitor case load with a mixed practice and a wide range of responsibilities including but not limited to: conducting hearings, trials and appeals in the Labrador West area, including circuits, and in other judicial centers across the province, providing legal opinions and ensuring that legal services are provided in a timely, effective and efficient manner in order to provide the highest level of service to clients.
Candidates must hold a Law Degree from a recognized school of law, be members in good standing or, be able to become, members in good standing with the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador. Minimum 5 years’ at the bar is preferred with extensive experience in the areas of Family and Criminal Law. Management experience would be an asset. Candidates must have strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to handle difficult situations and problem solve as needed. Exceptional accuracy and attention to detail is a must, along with a strong work ethic and the ability to take initiative. Additionally, candidates must possess a positive attitude, a passion for providing service and high standards of ethics, professionalism and confidentiality and a demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast paced and challenging legal environment.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a Certificate of Conduct with Vulnerable Sector Check prior to commencing employment.
Employees of Legal Aid NL are covered under the Provincial Government Pension Plan and Health Plan. An optional Dental Plan and Disability Plan are also available. Effective July 2015, the salary range for this position is $48,110 - $129,017, in accordance with the Solicitor Pay Plan. Labrador positions also receive a Northern Allowance, a Northern Travel Allowance, and a salary incentive based upon the following:
Solicitors who are remunerated on the SOL I and II pay scale will receive $25,000 per annum
Solicitors who are remunerated on the SOL III pay scale will receive $20,000 per annum
Solicitors who are remunerated on the SOL IV pay scale will receive $15,000 per annum
Please note the salary incentive is subject to availability of funds, not subject to general economic increases and subject to review. Upon appointment or assignment to the island portion of the Province the adjustment shall cease to be paid.
Interested applicants should apply via email (email@example.com), no later than 4pm on Friday June 21st, 2019.
For more information on the Labrador West area please visit the website.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those selected for interview will be contacted. Applicants should note that once the vacancy is filled, a list of qualified candidates will be established and may be used to fill any further vacancies in other Legal Aid NL offices within a 6 month period.