- Edmonton, AB
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 10+ years
Alberta Pensions Services Corporation (APS) is an organization with people at its core. Our values of Quality, Service, and Accountability are present in all that we do in our relentless pursuit of excellence in pension administration, to serve those who serve Albertans. We rely on our employees to bring their expertise to the table every day.
APS is recruiting for a Corporate Counsel.
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance and CFO, the Corporate Counsel acts as the primary contact for all corporate legal issues. This position plays a key role within the organization and is responsible for setting and delivering strategic legal initiatives that align and support the achievement of APS’ strategic plan, mission, vision and values.
This position works closely with the CEO and Executive Leadership team, the APS Board and committees, the Legal Services team and other staff members. The incumbent is responsible for addressing various legal, risk and corporate policy issues, providing expert analysis, research and advice to the organization.
Additionally, The Corporate Counsel will have a portfolio of responsibilities including: corporate secretariat, advice and coordination on legal claims, assistance with procurement and contracting best practices, employment law issues, whistleblower program coordination, pension services agreements, and oversight of the insurance program and relevant corporate policies.
This role requires a high degree of political acumen, strategic foresight and professional level diplomacy. The ideal candidate for this position would exhibit strong critical thinking and problem- solving abilities, possess excellent communication skills and demonstrate effective time management skills.
- University degree from an accredited law school and professional accreditation and member in good standing eligible to practice as a lawyer in Alberta.
- 10 or more years of legal practice experience at a law firm/organization in a senior level capacity.
- Previous Corporate Counsel experience with advising medium to large size organizations or equivalent/similar experience in corporate/commercial advisory services to clients.
- Excellent organizational, time management and prioritization skills while demonstrating consistent adherence to strong ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrates a team-oriented approach, and can communicate effectively with all levels of internal staff and external personnel.
- Ability to work independently and meet time-sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to handle inquiries, correspondence and assignments with the highest level of professionalism and strict confidentiality of all sensitive information.
- Strong understanding of liability and insurance concepts.
- Ability to effectively communicate and present on complex legal matters to individuals or groups without a legal background.
- Any other relevant governance, board or business related professional designations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess practical knowledge of legal concepts, board governance and general business best practices.
- Must possess an inquiring mind, critical thinking abilities and a service-oriented approach.
- Able to function in an environment of complexity and ongoing change with multiple projects and time-sensitive deadlines.
APS offers a comprehensive and flexible benefit package.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume to Human Resources using the Apply button. Each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for.
Please Note: If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please send a separate submission for each competition. The successful candidate(s) will be required to undergo a security screening as a condition of employment. This job posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies within APS at the same or lower classification.
Thank you for your interest in Alberta Pensions Services Corporation (APS). Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.