- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
CPA Ontario is currently in search of an Associate Counsel who will support the General Counsel and the Office of the General Counsel in a variety of capacities, particularly in the areas of corporate/commercial and governance legal advice and support, to protect CPA Ontario against legal risk and ensure CPA Ontario satisfies its ongoing legal and regulatory obligations.
- Delivery of day to day corporate / commercial legal advice and support to all CPA Ontario business units, including the legal review, negotiation and drafting of corporate contracts and agreements, legal advice on contest rules and regulations, the creation and maintenance of contract templates and forms, managing intellectual property and its enforcement, and privacy and CASL matters and compliance.
- Legal research and analysis, including the provision of advice, opinions or memos, on matters affecting the organization and/or its members, firms, or students.
- Providing legal advice and support and representing business units in matters arising from regulatory or governance issues, including but not limited to admission, registration, capacity, and custodianship matters.
- Managing external counsel, and acting as counsel for CPA Ontario, both internally before adjudicative tribunals and externally, in court and otherwise.
- Managing governance processes, including Council election, Annual Meeting of Members, maintenance of minute books, and ensuring processes meet or exceed legal requirements.
- Overseeing protection of the designation against misuse by non-members.
- LL.B./J.D and a member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario is required.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience working in a law firm or as in-house counsel, preferably in a regulatory body is required.
- Excellent research, analytical, problem-solving, critical thinking and judgement skills are required.
- Solid communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, relationship building and presentation skills are required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) is required.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure with previous experience working in a fast-paced, high volume, deadline-oriented environment with multiple priorities is required.
- Superior attention to accuracy and detail is required.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those being considered will be contacted.
CPA Ontario is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email email@example.com with “Accommodation Required” in the subject line to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.