Thompson Rivers University’s (TRU) Faculty of Law infuses the classic tradition of law and a legal education with a modern, innovative approach. The three-year JD Program offers students a well-established curriculum taught by an outstanding group of legal academics who are committed to providing students with every opportunity to succeed as future legal professionals. As the Faculty’s chief academic and administrative officer, the Dean is responsible to the Provost and Vice-President Academic for providing dynamic and visionary leadership in the articulation and implementation of the Faculty’s evolving strategic plan for professional and career development, education, scholarship and outreach in alignment with TRU’s mission, vision, and strategic priorities.
The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communications skills, be able to demonstrate knowledge of trends and current issues in legal education across diverse settings, and have a record of advocacy, service innovation, scholarly engagement and service to the profession. S/he will have an outstanding academic record, a strong and a deep appreciation for research, teaching and service, and demonstrated experience as an inspirational leader and mentor. The position is for a 5-year term, which is renewable. A Master of Laws or an equivalent combination of educational and professional experience is required.
The search committee acknowledges that no single individual is likely to meet all of the following criteria in equal measure; nevertheless, the successful candidate will be expected to have demonstrable experience in:
• Administration and leadership within higher education, the legal profession or government
• Championing student success by creating and supporting the development of innovative pathways for students who seek to customize their educational outcomes and blend their learning
• Building, articulating and pursuing a vision through to successful delivery of objectives and outcomes
• Advancing academic and organizational excellence in a highly diverse and complex environment
• Effectively managing a balanced operating budget
• Committing to the advancement of Indigenous peoples through higher education with the ability to foster and advance an academic environment welcoming of diversity and intercultural engagement
• Promoting teamwork, collaboration and partnership in an inclusive manner
• Fostering excellence, innovation, and integrity in teaching, research and scholarly activity
Salary range: $160,000 – $185,000 – TRU offers a competitive benefits package, pension plan and relocation assistance.
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Should you want to learn more about this exciting leadership opportunity, please call Jayson Young or Cameron Geldart at 604.926.0005. To apply, please forward your CV, a letter of introduction, and the names and contact information for three referees in strictest confidence Jayson Young using the Apply button.