Senior Regulatory Legal Counsel
- Telus Communications
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Administrative Law, Competition Law, Regulatory
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Work at the exciting intersection of law, public policy, and economics!
Our Telecom Policy and Regulatory Affairs group is responsible for telecom submissions to the CRTC and other public bodies, as well as regulatory litigation and applications for judicial review. We are an interdisciplinary team of advocates, featuring lawyers, engineers, accountants, and other professionals. Together, we apply administrative law, telecommunications law, and public policy principles to advance TELUS' interests within the Canadian telecommunications industry.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
Reporting to the Director, Regulatory Law and Policy, as a highly capable advocate, you will be responsible for leading TELUS’ legal and policy submissions on telecommunications matters before the CRTC, the courts, and other government bodies. You will collaborate with team members across Canada to advance our interests before these bodies.
Combine your passion for the telecommunications industry and technologies, understanding of business models, legal and regulatory framework, including the competitive dynamics of our wireline and wireless products and services, to make strategic decision that will shape the future of our success.
- Drafting TELUS’ submissions for public proceedings conducted before administrative and government bodies such as the CRTC, the Competition Bureau, and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Working internally and with external counsel on regulatory litigation and applications for judicial review of administrative decisions
- Delivering timely analysis of regulatory rules and decisions and assessing proposed regulatory strategies
- Meeting with senior regulatory and government officials to discuss TELUS’ positions on major public policy issues
- Advising business units on new regulatory rules established by government bodies and supporting compliance activities
- Embracing a culture that advances our strategic imperatives and corporate priorities, including our Customers First strategy
- 2-6 years’ experience practicing law
- Excellent written advocacy and oral communications skills
- Experience with regulatory law, administrative law, and/or competition law
- Basic knowledge of economics and public policy processes
- A demonstrated ability to manage complex files involving cross-functional teams, prioritize and deal with multiple assignments, and exercise judgment, often under significant time pressures
- A demonstrated ability to balance business requirements against regulatory risks, and to formulate solutions to advance the needs of business units
- Experience with telecommunications law is an asset but not required
- Ability to read and communicate in French