We are looking for an associate with 2-4 years’ experience to assist the partners on litigation matters. You will work on litigation files involving employment, construction lien, and corporate/commercial disputes. Prior experience in these areas is an asset, but not a requirement. You will need to do significant research and drafting, but you will also take carriage of some files with our guidance and mentorship. You will meet with clients. You will attend courts and tribunals. You will be an important part of our team.
Your work will include:
- initial consultation meetings with clients
- drafting pleadings
- preparing for and attending mediations, cross-examinations, and discoveries
- preparing for and attending motions, pre-trials, and trials in Superior Court
- attending Settlement Conferences and trials in Small Claims Court
- attending hearings before various tribunals (e.g. the Ontario Labour Relations Board)
Your files will include a mixture of larger files, on which you support a partner, and smaller files, where you will have primary carriage of the matter.
You will have:
- litigation experience
- excellent analytical, writing, oral communication, research, and interpersonal skills
- the ability to work independently
- good time management skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines
We are an entrepreneurial firm. You will be encouraged (though not required) to originate new business, in addition to your work on files for the partners. You will have mentorship and support for this, including a business development budget.
Please apply to the attention of Ella Price, Office Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter and resume. We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request.