Legal Assistant / Paralegal – Insurance Defense
The in-house legal department at Aviva Trial Lawyers is expanding. We are currently seeking a legal assistant/paralegal hybrid for our Vancouver office. You will be responsible for supporting one lawyer in the handling of insurance defense (tort) litigation matters. This is a hybrid position where you will be responsible for various assistant and paralegal tasks as well as the day-to-day file management.
- Preparation and drafting of correspondence and legal documents (responses to civil claim, third party notices, application records, lists of documents, affidavits, pre-trial/mediation memos, document briefs, bill of costs, subpoenas, various orders); ensuring all appropriate documents and forms are filed with the court in accordance with the rules of court
- Compilation of books of authorities/factums
- Preparing and following up with requests for productions and undertakings
- Summarizing discovery notes, transcripts, economic loss and medical reports
- Arranging investigations/surveillance, including preparing various instruction letters to investigators
- Arranging independent medical examinations, including drafting and preparing the medical briefs
- General administrative tasks including maintaining file organization, setting appearances and booking travel
- Ensuring integrity of information in legal case management applications
- Liaising between counsel, external parties, and claims operations
- Minimum of 4+ years of legal assistant and paralegal experience, preferably in an insurance defense or personal injury litigation environment. Experience with complex injury claims preferred.
- Paralegal post-secondary accreditation or equivalent experience
- Excellent computer skills including experience with MS Word and Outlook
- Proficient in the rules of court and court forms
- Customer-service oriented with superb communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Attention to detail with a desire to take initiative
- Able to work independently with minimal direction and as part of a team
- Mature work ethic and good sense of humor
Aviva Trial Lawyers offers a competitive salary, benefits and pension, a flexible schedule and the opportunity to do interesting and challenging work in a supportive environment.