- BFL CANADA
- Montreal, QC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Reporting to the General Counsel, the candidate will work on a variety of files in commercial law, corporate law and employment law and will need to balance legal spirit with business sense. He will take charge the files entrusted to him, be in regular contact with numerous internal and external protagonists, conduct research and appropriate follow-ups, draft commercial and corporate documents and work in close collaboration with management and corporate services.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Take charge of a variety of legal mandates with autonomy and efficiency.
- Draft, review and negotiate insurance-related and general commercial agreements.
- Support day-to-day operations and coordinate with internal and external clients.
- Conduct research and provide legal advice on commercial law matters, including insurance law.
- Participate in legal due diligence in the context of acquisition mandates at the national level.
- Prepare corporate documentation and internal memoranda for the board of directors.
- Monitor corporate compliance of the BFL CANADA group of companies.
- Support human resources with agreements and specific employment law questions.
- Support the compliance department by developing internal policies and procedures required under the legal framework applicable to the BFL CANADA group of companies.
- Member of the Quebec Bar.
- University degrees in Civil Law and Common Law.
- 4 - 7 years of experience as a commercial and/or corporate lawyer (in-house or private firm).
- Excellent command of English and French written and spoken.
- Experience in the insurance industry is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge in employment law is an asset.
Required competencies and abilities:
- Combine autonomy, teamwork and collaboration with different specialized teams.
- Capacity to adapt in a dynamic and challenging work environment.
- Judgment and ability for clear and effective communication.
- Aptitude to analyse and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and precision.
- Professionalism in working with confidential and sensitive information.
- Interest and ability to develop a broad skill set in many areas.
- Computer skills and experience with relevant software such as the MS Office suite.