Research Agreement Specialist
- University Health Network
- Toronto, ON
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- University degree
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Research Contract Specialist in our Clinical Trial Agreements Office.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN's five research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
Thousands of research studies are undertaken at UHN every year. While some involve UHN researchers and clinicians only, most involve third-parties such as pharmaceutical and medical device companies, government or funding agencies, contract research organizations and other research institutions. It is imperative that appropriate legal agreements are in place to govern these relationships as well as to manage and mitigate risk to the UHN and UHN research participants
The Research Contract Specialist will prepare and negotiate legal agreements for UHN research studies including but not limited to clinical study agreements, confidentiality agreements, sub site/grant and collaboration agreements, grant agreements etc. The Research Contract Specialist will also review and assess study submissions by researchers to determine study complexity and requirements, and to develop agreement strategies.
The position is also required to liaise with key internal stakeholders such as the Research Ethics Board, Research Financial Services and senior management for briefing and decision-making. Duties will also include the development of SOPs and review tools.
• At minimum, a law degree or paralegal background with related experience or; a master’s degree or recognized equivalent
• Minimum three (3) years practical and related experience with at least 2 years of experience drafting, interpreting and negotiating agreements including clinical trial agreements, data transfer agreements, confidentiality agreements, etc. is preferred
• Ability to manage and prioritize projects simultaneously; to efficiently communicate, write, edit, analyze, negotiate and problem solve
• Familiarity with and/or experience in contracts or in an academic research environment is strongly preferred
• Demonstrated negotiation and facilitation skills
• Experience in a Microsoft Office environment preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills required
• Attention to detail/analytical thinking and excellent organizational abilities required
• Ability to manage personal timelines and priorities with minimal supervision required
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Posted Date: June 5, 2019 Closing Date: Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.