We are Nuvei, the first-ever community of payment experts. We provide fully-supported payment solutions designed to promote and advance our partners’ success. We work with ISOs, ISVs, payment facilitators, developers, and eCommerce platforms, supporting them with the technology, expertise, and customer service they need to stand out. Backed by our full-service, globally connected platform, our vision is to build a network in which our partners can truly thrive. Our goal is to create bigger and better payment opportunities for all, paving the way to great partnerships. Learn more at www.nuvei.com.
To meet its needs, Nuvei is currently seeking a lawyer to fill a new permanent position as Legal Counsel. The ideal candidate has 2 to 5 years of experience in commercial and transactional law and preferably a degree in Common Law. He or she is perfectly bilingual, resourceful, autonomous and efficient. He or she has great ease working alone as well as within a team environment. Able to handle a variety of issues with tight deadlines, this person has a great sense of professionalism and excels under pressure.
The Legal Counsel will participate in the drafting, negotiation and management of various commercial agreements, and will be called upon to develop and administer the monitoring of standardized contractual tools. They will be responsible for the management and monitoring of small claims litigation across Canada and the United States, as well as overseeing, in association with Nuvei's outside counsel, additional commercial litigation files of bigger proportions. Reporting to the Senior Legal Counsel, the candidate will be required to interact daily with the company's various business lines, such as Operations, Compliance, Sales, Marketing and Finance, to meet their legal needs.
- Member in good standing of the Barreau du Québec
- Common Law degree and experience in US law, an asset
- Between 2 and 5 years of relevant experience in commercial and transactional law
- Knowledge and experience with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), and legal concerns related to the protection of personal data, an asset
- Experience in drafting and reviewing information technology contracts, as well as knowledge of applicable laws and regulations in the payment services industry, an asset.
- Excellent negotiation and drafting skills
- Bilingual in French and English, both oral and written
- Great ability to develop interpersonal relationships
- English (written and spoken) is the language used most of the time, as work colleagues and clientele are both geographically dispersed within and outside of Quebec
- Internal communications between colleagues occur in English or in French, depending on the parties involved. Strategic suppliers are located outside of Quebec
- A basic knowledge of French is required for any position located within Quebec. English and French are required for this position.