Law Clerk / Paralegal - Litigation (contract)
Purpose of role
The incumbent will have the unique opportunity to utilize solid technical knowledge gained from industry experience as well as a solid educational background over a variety of legal matters while partnering with a team of legal counsel and other professionals.
This role is primarily responsible for delivering high quality, timely and accurate litigation paralegal support to the Legal Department. The incumbent will support the operations of the department and be instrumental in supporting the departments’ organization and operational efficiencies.
- Provide broad based paralegal support, with a strong focus on litigation within the Legal department and paralegal services to Foresters business areas. This may include drafting and reviewing documents, indentifying, compiling and interpreting information for various legal matters.
- Provide timely and accurate legal research, as required, by reviewing and analyzing statues, rules, regulations and case law; assessing, analyzing, communicating results and making conclusions or recommendations to the legal team.
- Manage and maintain Foresters Legal Matter Management System (eCounsel) by ensuring the legal team’s adherence to established procedures, updating database, producing Quarterly Litigation Reports and maintaining accuracy of legal files.
- Establish and foster effective relationships with members of the Legal team, and maintain mutually beneficial partnerships with internal clients
- Demonstrate client service excellence and take on new challenges willingly.
- Performs duties in a way that fosters teamwork and a unified approach within the Legal department.
- Minimum of 5 – 7 years experience in a Paralegal or similar position working in a Legal Department or law firm.
- Post secondary Law Clerk or Paralegal Diploma or equivalent experience.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of US and Canadian legal issues, insurance laws, rules, regulations and regulatory process including an ability to interpret legislation and case law.
- Strong analytical skills with a proven ability to collect, interpret and analyze data.
- Proven time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task in a fast paced and dynamic Legal environment.
- Excellent communications skills (verbal, written, presentation) with the ability to influence at all levels.
- Maintain confidentiality in handling sensitive information.
- Solid and demonstrated knowledge of computer software including MS Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and other database software.
- Willingness to work extra hours when required.
Only those candidates who will be selected for further consideration will be contacted by our Talent Acquisition Team. Foresters Financial is committed to supporting diversity and accessibility. If you require an accommodation throughout the recruitment process, we will work with you to mee