At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
We are currently seeking a Senior Corporate Law Clerk to work within our Business Law Department of our Hamilton office. The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of clerking experience in a full service legal environment. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work independently as well as part of a team, and will bring a strong willingness to learn. The candidate will work closely with all members of our Corporate Department, providing our clients with quality work and a high level of customer service.
- Evaluates the file to review case facts, determine appropriate processes and plans the steps necessary for the conduct of the file, ensuring critical deadlines are identified and met.
- Independently drafts a variety of documentation, including resolutions, agreements, and prescribed forms for various jurisdictions, in accordance with legislation and/or governing regulations.
- Assists the professional to ensure that each action on the file conforms to the requirements of the governing statutes, regulations and jurisdiction's government department.
- Drafts documents related to incorporation, and organizes both provincial and federal corporations.
- Assists the professional with corporate due diligences, corporate organizations, share or asset purchase transactions or tax reorganization.
- Initiates follow up actions where and when necessary.
- Prepares reports on an as needed basis.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other Firm members, with the aptitude to take care of clients’ needs in a professional and courteous manner
- Capacity to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Ability to perform legal research
- Developing aptitude to coach and mentor junior and/or intermediate law clerks
- Knowledgeable about current relevant legislation and government regulations
- In depth knowledge of legal terminology and principles
- Ability to analyze legal documents for accuracy
- Produce a high quality and quantity of work product, occasionally under tight timelines
- Able to prioritize and to redefine priorities when necessary
- Handle stress in a business-like manner
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Law Clerk/Paralegal or Legal Assistant Diploma/Certificate
- A minimum of 5 years as a Law Clerk/Paralegal
Gowling WLG is proud to offer equal employment opportunities.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.